Thread: Dual booting Windows 10 and kali 2.0

Dual booting Windows 10 and kali 2.0

Hello all!

I need a little expertise on Dual booting Windows 10 and kali.

A little background knowledge:

My laptop came with Windows 8.1 preinstalled. I successfully dualbooted kali and Windows at that time, and I proceeded recently to udgrade to Windows 10. Still no problems.
    I then decided to do a completely fresh install of Windows 10, and therefore i deleted all partitions and made some new ones for both Windows and kali.
    I then installed Windows 10.
    So once again I went on to install kali 2.0 on the new partition i made, but this time, during installation, it doesnt detect my Windows 10 OS when I am about to install grub. It says though that grub can later be manually configured to boot into other OS's.

Afraid that grub wont see my Windows 10 OS, I choose not to install grub to the MBR, but now i obliously dont get the chance to boot kali.

My question is now:
    How do I install grub so that i will be sure i can boot into both Windows and kali now?

If i do install grub, and it somehow doesnt show Windows, how do I then get it to? Manually make an entry in /etc/grub.d/40_custom?

Any help is greatly appreciated! So thanks in advance! :-)

Here's a paste from boot repair cd:

http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/13007651/
    Last edited by helixx; 2015-10-30 at 10:06.

you can try it with easybcd from Windows
    http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/
    or with boot repar cd
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/

How did you Dual boot Kali with Windows 8.
    Could you help me out here. Like you, even I have Windows 8 installed but after creating a bootable usb, it just does not seem to get detected.

yeah I'd recommend using a utility like easybcd, that looks good but I haven't used it. I do *not* recommend unetboot as the install process had incorrect commands for install and crapped itself a number of times til I figured out the (not really bash) syntax. ping me if you want the correct install syntax for kali 2.0 64b once unetboot has control of it - but if you're at that point you can still bail, go back to windows & make a different org's bootable usb (like easybcd or dd).

Well I did what you did, but mine detected windows just fine :/ I'm afraid I don't know why yours don't detect windows.

I tried both, easyBCD doesn't detect kali installation, and boot repair cd says I have to change some files in the Kali installation dir, but how can I if I can't boot into kali?

Quote Originally Posted by helixx View Post
    I tried both, easyBCD doesn't detect kali installation, and boot repair cd says I have to change some files in the Kali installation dir, but how can I if I can't boot into kali?
    remember that you can always use any live Linux distro to repair something on the system including boot repair if you know what to repair