First off am new to kali, whilst some members will come out with "you shouldn't be using kali" I made the decision to start with kali not because it's easy or I want to hack everyone in my street but because I want to learn the basics of the tools and progress. Everyone runs into an issue on linux and needs help so it would still happen even if I was running ubuntu or another distro.

Issue
I have a HP-Envy laptop which has a nvidia optimus card. The card is a Geforce 840m and it switches between my intel card and the nvidia card. I wanted to get the Nvidia side working on laptop to try out cudahashcat. My cpu with aircrack was only managing 3700 keys per second and I wanted to speed that up.
I followed the nvidia install page here and when I rebooted I got the black screen of death. I got the terminal working and someone mentioned on a ubuntu forum to purge the nvidia driver and in a similar thread someone suggested moving/renaming the xorg.conf file to "xorg.conf.blah" but to no avail. The operating system is not within a virtual machine, I had it installed on a seperate hard drive and within my own bios I cannot switch off the intel chip. I need to get back to using the intel drivers (I think) but not sure how to do that and I need to know if anyone knows a way to get my nvidia card working for cudahashcat? I have seen people on other sites using the 840m but am not sure and couldn't find their installation procedure. If anyone knows how or a guide to explain how that would be greatly appreciated. If I have to reinstall kali that's fine as I keep everything backed up on an encrypted usb. I just need to be able to get the graphics chip working as that's my main issue.