Thread: Problems with Wash - Airodump on Kali 2.0

Problems with Wash - Airodump on Kali 2.0

Hi there!,

I'm trying to learn about how to hack WPS using Pixie Dust. I'm following this tutorial: http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how...ttack-0162671/

But I found a problem when invoking "wash".

Let me tell you that I'm using Kali 2.0, VMWare flavor and my card is a TP-LINK TL-WN422G:

root@kali:~# lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0ace:1215 ZyDAS ZD1211B 802.11g
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0e0f:0002 VMware, Inc. Virtual USB Hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0e0f:0003 VMware, Inc. Virtual Mouse
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I've also updated Kali trough the "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" commands.

Putting the card in monitor mode works for me:

root@kali:~# iwconfig
    eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0mon IEEE 802.11bg Mode:Monitor Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry short limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementn

lo no wireless extensions.

But when I run "wash -i wlan0mon" nothing happens. So, I invoke it like this:

root@kali:~# /usr/bin/wash -i wlan0mon

Wash v1.5.2 WiFi Protected Setup Scan Tool
    Copyright (c) 2011, Tactical Network Solutions, Craig Heffner <[email protected]>
    mod by t6_x <[email protected]> & DataHead & Soxrok2212 & Wiire & kib0rg

[X] ERROR: Failed to open 'wlan0mon' for capturing

As you can see, the error "[X] ERROR: Failed to open 'wlan0mon' for capturing" pops up.

I have to admit that I tried some solutions found on the web like removing and installing aircrack-ng again, copying the "wash" binary from the https://github.com/t6x/reaver-wps-fork-t6x build and even creating the /etc/reaver directory but nothing seems to fix that error.

I've also checked for processes interfering with:

root@kali:~# airmon-ng check wlan0mon
    No interfering processes found

The first time I ran that command some processes showed up but I killed them using "killall".

So, I'm stuck with that error.

Any help on this?.

Is it just wash that you're having trouble with? Can you sniff packets & inject ok?

Anything weird when you run dmesg?

I didn't try it in the first place but now you mentioned it, here are the results:

root@kali:~# airodump-ng wlan0mon
    ioctl(SIOCSIFFLAGS) failed: Connection timed out
    root@kali:~# aireplay-ng -9 wlan0mon
    ioctl(SIOCSIFFLAGS) failed: Connection timed out

root@kali:~# dmesg | grep zd1211rw
    [ 167.645295] zd1211rw 1-1:1.0: phy0
    [ 167.645355] usbcore: registered new interface driver zd1211rw
    [ 168.109391] zd1211rw 1-1:1.0: firmware version 4725
    [ 168.159667] zd1211rw 1-1:1.0: zd1211b chip 0ace:1215 v4810 high 00-25-86 MAXIM_NEW_RF pa0 -7---

how can I check if the problem is with my card or the driver? how can I solve this?. I'm really frustrated at this point

btw, I can sniff and inject on BackTrack 4, airodump and aireplay wosk fine on BT4.

MTeams thinks the octl(SIOCSIFFLAGS) points to the problem

Try evoking airmon-ng check kill

Now this command kills network manager

Then put your device wlan0 in monitor mode with

airmon-ng start wlan0

You will now have

wlan0mon

When you get a little more experience you find there are better ways then using airmon-ng check kill BUT this will get you up and running. Just remember this kill command ends your ability to connect to the internet thru network manager on any device. Again there are ways around this problem. We almost never use the airmon-ng check kill command.

You can try the below commands to get network-manager up and running or just restart the computer

airmon-ng stop wlan0mon
    service network-manager restart
    ifconfig wlan0 up

MTeams

Hmm, do you have a non-VM Kali install you can check your card on? Might be that your card & drivers are fine, but it's VMWare that is messing you up. Do you have another card you can check?

I've had weird results in the past doing wireless stuff inside a VM, so I stick with a native Kali (BackTrack, before that) install.

@mmusket33: yes, I've tried that. I killed network manager, wpa_suplicant and other processes interfering with airmon/airodump. It is still failing.

@grid: I don't have another card to check but I think I can make a native kali install somewhere to test it. However, it is weird that my card works fine with Backtrack on VMware and not with Kali.

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    Hmm, do you have a non-VM Kali install you can check your card on? Might be that your card & drivers are fine, but it's VMWare that is messing you up. Do you have another card you can check?

I've had weird results in the past doing wireless stuff inside a VM, so I stick with a native Kali (BackTrack, before that) install.
    Confirmed, VMware was the problem. I tried Kali on a USB stick on my desktop machine and my card, airodump and wash worked perfectly!.

Now, I would like to know why is not working on VMware. Using kali on a VM is really useful for me.

Glad you pinned down the problem. I occasionally need a VM install of Kali, but not that often. I wonder if it's the VMWare Tools that is the issue?

I really don't now. I would really like to know what's the problem with the VM install. As I said, is really useful for me but, I don't have idea how to debug the issue, what should I look for?.

Btw, thanks @grid for your help!

You're welcome, poxyran!

I'm kinda lost at this point, having never had to work through this issue myself. It's a long shot, but you might try a VirtualBox install of Kali, and see if your wireless card works normally there.