Thread: GRUB configuration help needed to make existent win10 OS available again

GRUB configuration help needed to make existent win10 OS available again

Hello all, nice to meet you etc etc etc. New to Kali, not new to Linux.

The long and short of it is I've installed Kali 2.0 64b on my second hard drive (sdb, one's flash, one's hdd, whatever) and Kali mostly boots up fine and it's quite lovely, but I can't get back into win10, sda (and my Undertale save file).

The install is still there on the other drive - I have access to all its files from Kali. So they're safe. I backed up before I started anyway, so they're there & that's cool, BUT NOW I would love to ask your help configuring GRUB. The GRUB docs are basically really good for confg a single OS, which, if you already have GRUB on your system, it's already doing... and dual boot with windows not so much. two versions of linux, though, and you're good! so for the rest of us who still play (more than valve) games on steam...

So as far as I can tell, there are a few pieces of configuration that need to be in place.

First, /etc/grub.d needs an executable shell script with a name like `11_windows` (it has to be between 11 and 19 so that it's after the linux boot [presumably so it grabs GRUB to begin with tho I can't confirm that] and before some other stuff). After you make it you need to `chmod 755 11_windows`. What goes IN there, though, beyond the `#! /bin/sh; set -e` at the top lol I do not know. I think this file needs to be in place a) for the grub-mkconfig executable and b) for the actual grub booting.

Do I for real have to assemble a TON of bash to make this work, in order to be able to use the file for grub-mkconfig? And am I on the right track, or is there a painfully obvious way of taking care of this?

If you need more info on how I got here I can provide it. but the kali install is working mostly fine.

i can suggest you different approach to your problem.
    first download boot repair cd or hiren's boot and just repair windows boot
    then if you want to install Kali on usb (not on other hdd!!!) use this method
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ind-of-problem

it will take little more time but it is working

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    i can suggest you different approach to your problem.
    first download boot repair cd or hiren's boot and just repair windows boot

it will take little more time but it is working

Cool, I'll try that this evening, thank you. I don't really relish blowing away the Kali install for now but it IS the Windows data that's important, not Kali, and unetbootin was a pretty bad way to go, so yeah, I'll try the other way. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    so by "install kali on usb," you mean eventually for dual-booting alongside windows, right?

only if your windows is on usb
    I am not using this method of booting but I am thinking that is not working like normal dual boot (with grub)
    I am thinking that is working on BIOS boot order. (1. boot device usb, 2.hdd,....)
    and when is usb present on boot Kali is booted, w/o usb Windows is booted...
    be aware that I am not sure about it 100% because I don't use this method.
    try and inform us