Thread: TP-LINK WN722N on Nexus 7 2012 using Nethunter

TP-LINK WN722N on Nexus 7 2012 using Nethunter

Hello,

I have a Nexus 7 2012 version and a TP LINK WN722N usb dongle, I need to make it work in monitor mode using an USB OTG cable (if possible).

If I use lsusb I can see that the device is listed, but the dongle led never light up and if I use wifite command the Atheros device is not recognized.

Do I have to necessarily use an Y cable? This sound strange to me since if I connect my Nexus 7 to an USB storage using a normal OTG cable it is powered up, so why the dongle is not?

Do it depends on the kernel? Maybe do I have to install another one?

Could anyone give me any advice?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Y cable is not necessarily, its work with simple otg cable too, yes, it depends on kernel, only nethunter kernel can use external wifi /or you can build your own kernel with ath9k_htc support/

You installed nethunter on n7 2012, or you try get monitor mode without install it?

/sry for my bad eng/

Go into your Settings > About, then report back your Kernel Version.

From my experience, the Kali .zips available for download aren't working on any factory image over 4.4.4.
    They are not replacing the Kernel with the modified version.
    The Kernel Version should be named something like 3.4.0-Kali- and not mention "google" in the name.

As for the Y-OTG cable, that's the only way I got my N7 2013 to turn the wifi adapter on, and then Android crashes and reboots.
    It wouldn't work with any of my standard OTG cables.

It's sad, I WANT to help fix NetHunter, but I can't find anyone that want my help to fix it. No support what-so-ever.

Quote Originally Posted by xNotta View Post
    Go into your Settings > About, then report back your Kernel Version.

From my experience, the Kali .zips available for download aren't working on any factory image over 4.4.4.
    They are not replacing the Kernel with the modified version.
    The Kernel Version should be named something like 3.4.0-Kali- and not mention "google" in the name.

As for the Y-OTG cable, that's the only way I got my N7 2013 to turn the wifi adapter on, and then Android crashes and reboots.
    It wouldn't work with any of my standard OTG cables.

It's sad, I WANT to help fix NetHunter, but I can't find anyone that want my help to fix it. No support what-so-ever.
    How can you upgrade/change the Kernel to a non-google kernel?

Quote Originally Posted by robpom View Post
    How can you upgrade/change the Kernel to a non-google kernel?
    The flashable NetHunter .zip SHOULD do it for your, it even says it in the recovery script, but they don't offer a stand alone kernel or any way to do anything outside of that flashable .zip.

Code:
    ui_print("* Starting Kernel install for Nexus 7 (2013)*");
    ui_print("* Mounting System...                        *");
    mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/system", "/system");
    package_extract_dir("system", "/system");
    set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0644, 0644, "/system/lib/modules");
    set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/bin");
    set_perm_recursive(0, 2000, 0755, 0755, "/system/xbin");
    set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0755, "/system/etc/init.d");
    unmount("/system");
    package_extract_dir("kernel", "/tmp");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/edit_ramdisk5.sh");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/abootimg");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0777, "/tmp/busybox");
    set_perm(0, 0, 0755, "/tmp/cleansystem.sh");

ui_print("* Cleaning /system/app...                   *");
    run_program("/tmp/cleansystem.sh");
    run_program("/tmp/busybox", "dd", "if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14", "of=/tmp/boot.img");
    run_program("/tmp/abootimg", "-x", "/tmp/boot.img", "/tmp/bootimg.cfg", "/tmp/zImage", "/tmp/boot.img-ramdisk.gz");
    run_program("/tmp/edit_ramdisk5.sh");
    run_program("/tmp/abootimg", "-u", "/tmp/boot.img", "-k", "/tmp/kernel", "-r", "/tmp/boot.img-ramdisk.gz");
    run_program("/tmp/busybox", "dd", "if=/tmp/boot.img", "of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p14");

ui_print("* Kernel installation completed...          *");
    This doesn't work on my N7 2013 WiFi with 5.1.1 LP.

You might be able to just pull the google kernel source and build it with the Atheros and RealTek drivers installed.
    I'm still learning how to build them correctly or I'd release one for the sake of sanity.

NetHunter Sources are: https://github.com/offensive-security/kali-nethunter
    Google sources: https://android.googlesource.com/
    Last edited by xNotta; 2015-11-02 at 16:02.

I finally got it working.

If I try to install nethunter 2.0 zips using recovery the device stuck in bootloop (does anyone know why?). To solve this I used NetHunter Installer for windows.

The problem is that by default it install Nethunter 1.2 that has the "google kernel", so the dongle usb doesn't work.

I solved the problem by simply replacing in step #3 the default image with "kali_linux_nethunter_2.0_nakasi_kitkat.zip" that I downloaded from the website.

This version has the kali linux kernel, so it will work.

You might be able to just pull the google kernel source and build it with the Atheros and RealTek drivers installed.
    I'm still learning how to build them correctly or I'd release one for the sake of sanity.
    Before I decided to try nethunter, I was trying to make working monitor mode on nexus 7 using Tilapia Cyanogenmod:

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Tilapia_Info

I followed this guide to do it:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2338179

I builded the kernel successfully adding many combinations of modules (using make menuconfig), but none of them has worked.

Do you know what are modules that needs to be added in order to make TP-LINK WN722N work properly?

Quote Originally Posted by beloadjoker View Post
    I followed this instructions and the kernel is compiled without errors, the problem is that using this kernel the device stuck in bootloop.
    I think it can depend on this module, but I'm not completely sure: "Linux Community AR9170 802.11n USB support".

Could you give me some advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Dmrfx View Post
    I followed this instructions and the kernel is compiled without errors, the problem is that using this kernel the device stuck in bootloop.
    I think it can depend on this module, but I'm not completely sure: "Linux Community AR9170 802.11n USB support".

Could you give me some advice?

I think the right driver for the TL-WN722 with the Atheros AR9271 chipset is ath9k_htc.

Did you try wiping Dalvik and Cache from recovery after flashing?

If that doesn't work you could connect to the computer and see what "adb logcat" says your device is doing while bootlooping.

same problem bro, tried to port kernel little xperia mini but i got at the end bootloop....

Quote Originally Posted by xNotta View Post
    I think the right driver for the TL-WN722 with the Atheros AR9271 chipset is ath9k_htc.

Did you try wiping Dalvik and Cache from recovery after flashing?

If that doesn't work you could connect to the computer and see what "adb logcat" says your device is doing while bootlooping.
    1) Yes, ath9k_htc module is already included, the problem is that if I don't include "Linux Community AR9170 802.11n USB support" the device start, but the dongle won't work.

2) I tried wiping Dalvik and Cache but nothing has changed.

3) I tried "adb logcat". I launched the command before turning up, but it remains stuck on this message: "- waiting for device -".

Maybe have I used "adb logcat" incorrectly? How should I use it? Eventually are there other ways to find out which errors occur during the bootloop?