Thread: Kali hangs at boot!

Exclamation Kali hangs at boot!

Hi,
    i run 4.0.0-kali1-686-pae on an asus notebook 32bit Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz.
    Since first boot kali started hanging right after grub and fsck noticing it had clean /dev/sda1.
    I have checked dmesg, /var/log/messages, /var/log/syslog but i haven't found much.I have installed kali in legacy mode, secureboot disabled, kali is the only OS and partitions are divided into a root partition and i don't know how the extended partion surround just home the second partition. Launcing fdisk -l shows all units but at the end it says "Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary". One thing i noticed from first install was the system named the main hard disk dev/sdb1 while i was installing from a usb pendrive which was dev/sda1. Once Kali installation was finished and i rebooted into the new system things went back to normality main hard disk was dev/sda1 and pendrive dev/sdb1.I was saying, i haven't found much in logs, so i disabled fsck thinking it was the problem, but i was wrong, i have also changed grub bootloader with lilo but still i had no luck, i have disabled graphical login thinking X was the problem but nothing my system still stops right after bootloader shows up. I'm writing now from my troubled laptop which decided to boot up after 3 days of useless efforts . I hope what i said is clear. Anything i can provide to help me get over this issue, just ask. I was away from linux and pc in general since 4 years and this secureboot businnes and the new systemd did not make my life any easier out of the box . Best regards

Gab
    Last edited by gabrix; 2015-11-03 at 17:25.

Have you tried just a plain install from DVD, accepting all the defaults?

I suggest you a fresh new install but with the UEFI from your usb
    Plug your usb, override boot, with F2 or F10 depending on your bios, at starting the laptop, boot options, select UEFI: "your usb key name"
    Make sure your swap partition is over 512mo (you should have 2go minimum at my opinion, some tools are heavy swap dependant. Bigger is better)

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    Have you tried just a plain install from DVD, accepting all the defaults?
    That's what i did apart from having 2 separated partitions for root and home. i should have used gparted before install and make the two partitions fit into an extended partion.
    Regards

I should have used a DVD but, this usb install swapping main hard drive, it's not nice ... is it a bug ?

When installing Kali (and BackTrack, before that), I've always done the basic install. Either I've dedicated the whole drive to Kali, or installed as a dual boot alongside Windows 7. Never tried to do separate partitions.

Good luck, gabrix...hope it works out for you