Thread: installation along with Windows and Ubuntu each on a different partition

Question installation along with Windows and Ubuntu each on a different partition

Hello,

I guess most of the posts are about dual booting Kali and win /7/8/etc...

But my case is different more challenging-at least for newbies like me-

Okay its like this:

I have my Laptop installed with Win 7 in partition C and I have another D partition as my /home partition. I have installed Ubuntu in a separate partition. the installation process yields these partitions:

• /
    • /home
    • /swap
    • / reserved Bios boot area

No when the machine boots up Ubunut GRUB takes over the booting options and present me with Ubuntu /Windows to select from

Now I want to install Kali the same way as I did for Ubuntu, in a sense that it has its own partition, but how can I do it with out effecting the booting of the systems I have as well as Kali after that.
    should I go with the manual option at the partition disks and create partitions the same way I did with Ubuntu ?

Thanx in advance

nothing special. you just need to make another free (unpartition) space on hdd.
    I recommend you to make those free space from Windows.
    it is safer to do it that way. after that start install Kali (on first unpartition space) and i recommend also to install grub on dev/sda during installation (at the end of process)
    you don't need to crate swap, but if in installation ask you where to create it, just point at that swap that Ubuntu use.
    if Ubuntu is not listed in grub after installation just from Kali do
    sudo update grub
    or you can use
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/
    also read this post just in case
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Kali-2-0-Sana
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

I have made-from within windows-a separate partition for this dude and I booted from my USB with Kali 2.0 installed on it.

follow the installation-using Graphical option- and selecting my above mentioned new partition. for the swap Kali has auto-detect the swap partition I have made previously for Ubuntu and just point it self to it.

for the Grub installation part, Kali has detect that I'm running boot loaders for Ubuntu and Win Vista-though I'm using win 7 I assume it just inherit vista's boot loader!- and recommended me to select "Yes" for the Grub installation if all the OSs running on my machine are presented. So, yes they are and I selected "Yes"

Now, I guess everything seems fine.
    However, after the restart I found that it's Kali that is missing from the boot menu options, but Ubuntu as you mentioned above.

what can I do know so that I have all my three systems presented at the boot menu?

Appreciate the help dude

"Now, I guess everything seems fine.
    However, after the restart I found that it's Kali that is missing from the boot menu options, but Ubuntu as you mentioned above.

what can I do know so that I have all my three systems presented at the boot menu?

Appreciate the help dude "

then from Ubuntu try
    sudo update grub
    or use tool I mention in first post(boot repair)
    don't worry everything is on the system you just need grub to configure or you can add manually enter for Kali in grub.cfg from Ubuntu
    after you repair your grub if you want to add more Linux distro just repeat steps.
    Last edited by duxim; 2015-11-12 at 17:30.

works like a charm buddy

I love you man "not sexually though "

May God reward you

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by captin View Post
    works like a charm buddy

I love you man "not sexually though "

May God reward you

thanks

p.s. now if you want to add another Linux ( on one my system I a have 5 Linux distro with Windows) just repeat steps, but this time don't install grub in the installation. after you finished installation just boot first time in Ubuntu and do "sudo update grub"

Okay..Thanks for the extra help given
    Good luck dude.

"I love you again"

Hey guys what if i use Gparted to create a separate space for kali linux installation on my laptop will that work and will kali Grub detect my Ubuntu 17.04 installed in it ??

Thanks for your reply...

Quote Originally Posted by 5uk1 View Post
    Hey guys what if i use Gparted to create a separate space for kali linux installation on my laptop will that work and will kali Grub detect my Ubuntu 17.04 installed in it ??
    Yes it will.