Thread: Installing on VMWare failed, Please Help

Question Installing on VMWare failed, Please Help

I've just install Kali Linux 2.0 on VMWare(VMWare workstation Player 12) but failed. My image has a suffix 'amd64', which I have directly downloaded from www.kali.org
    Did I choose the right image for VMWare? More, if I want to install it on my laptop(Intel i5-3230M, with presenting OS Windows 8.1 Professional), which image should I choose? How about installing on the USB disk(Kingston, USB3.0)? BTW, I cannot get access to the URL redirected by the top thread in this froum, nor any other documents.

I haven't used them, but if you're needing a Kali VM image, I'd go with the pre-made ones at www.offensive-security.com

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    I haven't used them, but if you're needing a Kali VM image, I'd go with the pre-made ones at www.offensive-security.com
    Been looking for a fix to this for 3 months so when I download this and try it, I'll report back.

I've had trouble using images that don't boot from osboxes.org and also Kali's official ISO for installation and Kali 2 doesn't work with either. Here's hoping.

EDIT: Nope: Capture.jpg
    Last edited by hosnappp; 2015-11-13 at 23:32.

Thank you so much that I have found 'Kali linux for VM PAE' in www.offensive-security.com I'm downloading it for my VMWare.
    I have found some answers in Chinese forums that 'amd64' is for PC with AMD CPU 64 bit OS, 'i386' for Intel CPU 32bit, 'i686' for Intel CPU 64 bit and Live-U. I'm not sure if it is a correct explanation but I will try it on my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by cool13145 View Post
    Thank you so much that I have found 'Kali linux for VM PAE' in www.offensive-security.com I'm downloading it for my VMWare.
    I have found some answers in Chinese forums that 'amd64' is for PC with AMD CPU 64 bit OS, 'i386' for Intel CPU 32bit, 'i686' for Intel CPU 64 bit and Live-U. I'm not sure if it is a correct explanation but I will try it on my laptop.

If this is true, this is probably the biggest let-down of Kali since it has been released.

I cannot get this to run on my Skylake build with an i5-6600K and there isn't any troubleshooting I can do, Kali is broken.

No point in saying it works on "AMD but not Intel", that's a joke.

if there is no image for Intel CPUs and it keeps stopping on "Configuring grub bootloader" when I use the .ISO, then Kali is broken.

hosnappp, I'd definitely report this to the Kali team at bugs.kali.org

Not sure if my previous post was not submitted properly. If this is a duplicate, please remove it. This is the exact issue I am having is well. It seems to definitely be associated with Skylake. I recently upgrade both my Desktop and my Notebook and am no longer able to boot into Kali.