Thread: After install Kali doesn't start (boot)

Question After install Kali doesn't start (boot)

Hi there.

I have a laptop with this configuration:

i7 2º Generation 2,8Ghz
    8Gb Ram DDR3
    IntelMother Board and graphic card (intel 3000 chipset).

I managed to install any other linux sistems on my computer. Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Debian, Elementary Os, windows 7 to 10, and all those i can install both versions 32bits and 64bits, and they get all runiing without any errors.

Said that, i have elementary os and win 10 already installed. Win 10 on the laptop hard drive, and elementary os installed on a e-sata hard drive. Both run fine without any problems.

I managed to install Kali 1.1 on laptop and get it running. But i wanted to upgrade to kali 2.0, so i downloaded it, and put it os a usb stick using win32DiskImager. I booted my computer and started to install Kali. It was pretty nice, without any error. I get it installed on another partition of my e-sata hard drive, the same hard drive as elemtary os.

So the installation has finished. I booted my computer, and can see all sistems on grub. It lists all of them. Elemtanry Os, Win 10, and Kali.

But when i try to start kali, it just return a dark screen, and than my computer start to get a little hot, and restart.
    Already tried to start it with some parameter that i found on another forum, like modeset=0 or i915.modeset=0, i'm searching everywhere and could not find some problem like that.

Could someone help me please, to find out why it just dont start?

Sorry for bad english.

Regards,
    Sonic87

Did you verify the Kali download via SHA-1 hash? Can you install from DVD?

first try from Elementary OS to update grub (if elemtary use it). If it not helpful then delete Kali partition
    from Windows and once again try to install it. read this post just in case.
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Kali-2-0-Sana
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Thank you guys.

Grid, thanks for the answer, i didn't had verified the kali image, but i learned how to, after your answer! So thanks!

Duxim, thank you for your answer. After runing boot-rapair from inside elementary os, Kali started to run! Why i dind't think about that in the first time?! =)
    Thanks!

So I managed to get it running doing those steps above:

1- Download your kali image from kali website;
    2- Download win32DiskImager;
    3- Run win32DiskImager, choose your usb drive at the right up corner, and choose your image file, downloaded from kali linux. Sometimes DiskImager only shows Disk Images (*.img or *.IMG) if your *.iso file doesn't browse than go to file tipe and choose (*.*) this will show your every file. After selecting your drive and your iso file, choose write, hit ok, and wait.
    4- After getting image to usb pendrive, restart your computer, and make shure your choose usb pendrive as boot device.
    5- Choose Graphic Install
    6- After passing tru installation, reboot.

IF KALI DOEST NOT START

7- Make the steps 3 and 4 again, but this time choose live at the install screen.
    8- Download Boot-repair ( make this steps https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair )
    9 - After runinng it and fixing grub, your Kali starts running!

That's folks.
    Sorry for my terribleEnglish.

Glad you got it going, Sonic87. And thanks for posting the steps to fix