Thread: Unable to change Login-Screen

Unable to change Login-Screen

I've tried just about every tutorial Google can offer me on the matter, and I cannot seem to find a solution to what should be a very simple problem.

I'm attempting to change my login screen wallpaper;
    following a tutorial, I changed the picture located at usr/share/images/desktop-base/login-background.png with the picture I wanted,
    I changed the original dragon screen to a .bak file extension, per request of the tutorial (for a back-up.)

Going by most of the tutorials, all I needed to do from this point was restart my PC. However, doing so does not have any noticeable effect.
    Even the picture, that doesn't even exist in a readable format, continues to stay on the original lock screen photo.

A different tutorial told me to edit a particular configuration file (can't remember it) to have my desired file name, but it already did, as I simply replaced the original image. The name in the config never needed to change as it was, though I changed two other links to hit my image (probably not a good idea. Something about a dragon icon?).

After I edited that config file, I had to update grub from the terminal. Again, I logged off, logged in, locked, and restarted my computer with no change in my login screen wallpaper.

I would like this change to commit to every user on the OS who might see it. I've tried every where else, as well as searching here, and none of the provided solutions seem to help in any way.
    I don't even know how it's possible that dragon image is being read. It's a .png.bak file right now, and to my knowledge doesn't exist anywhere else on the disk.

If anyone can offer guidance to this issue, I would be indebted to you for a long time.
    I seriously can't think of what to do that might help solve this, beyond posting this thread, and I've been at it for a couple days now.

Again, thank you to those of you who respond. I hope we can resolve this issue together, quickly.

Specs:
    Kali GNU/Linux 2.0 (sana) 64-bit
    Gnome Version 3.14.1
    (lol) IntelĀ® Sandybridge Mobile

If you need any other info about my system, please let me know.

Not sure which screen you are talking about.

When your computer boots kali uses grub2 there is a login screen which choice of operating systems kali, windows, etc
    if this is the screen its the grub background menu.

If when kali has booted its the screen where you type your user name then this is gnome display manager or gdm screen.

If its the gnome wallpaper its just a right click change wallpaper.

Is it grub or gdm?

Quote Originally Posted by pyth0n View Post
    Not sure which screen you are talking about.

When your computer boots kali uses grub2 there is a login screen which choice of operating systems kali, windows, etc
    if this is the screen its the grub background menu.

If when kali has booted its the screen where you type your user name then this is gnome display manager or gdm screen.

If its the gnome wallpaper its just a right click change wallpaper.

Is it grub or gdm?
    It's neither of those. It's the LOGIN screen.
    Whenever you turn you computer on, after grub and Kali boot up, you're faced with a login screen.
    When you close or sleep your computer, after turning on, and sliding up your lockscreen, you're faced with a login screen.

You know, username, password, the whole deal?

And also, no. You can't right click on a login screen. Nor access any files.
    That reeally defeats the purpose of having a lock screen.
    Last edited by haelos; 2015-11-17 at 00:59.

Quote Originally Posted by haelos View Post
    I've tried just about every tutorial Google can offer me on the matter, and I cannot seem to find a solution to what should be a very simple problem.

I'm attempting to change my login screen wallpaper;
    following a tutorial, I changed the picture located at usr/share/images/desktop-base/login-background.png with the picture I wanted,
    I changed the original dragon screen to a .bak file extension, per request of the tutorial (for a back-up.)

Going by most of the tutorials, all I needed to do from this point was restart my PC. However, doing so does not have any noticeable effect.
    Even the picture, that doesn't even exist in a readable format, continues to stay on the original lock screen photo.

A different tutorial told me to edit a particular configuration file (can't remember it) to have my desired file name, but it already did, as I simply replaced the original image. The name in the config never needed to change as it was, though I changed two other links to hit my image (probably not a good idea. Something about a dragon icon?).

After I edited that config file, I had to update grub from the terminal. Again, I logged off, logged in, locked, and restarted my computer with no change in my login screen wallpaper.

I would like this change to commit to every user on the OS who might see it. I've tried every where else, as well as searching here, and none of the provided solutions seem to help in any way.
    I don't even know how it's possible that dragon image is being read. It's a .png.bak file right now, and to my knowledge doesn't exist anywhere else on the disk.

If anyone can offer guidance to this issue, I would be indebted to you for a long time.
    I seriously can't think of what to do that might help solve this, beyond posting this thread, and I've been at it for a couple days now.

Again, thank you to those of you who respond. I hope we can resolve this issue together, quickly.

Specs:
    Kali GNU/Linux 2.0 (sana) 64-bit
    Gnome Version 3.14.1
    (lol) IntelĀ® Sandybridge Mobile

If you need any other info about my system, please let me know.
    Hi I tried this way to change login in screen .

1. /usr/share/gnome-shell/themes/KaliLogin.png

2. open images which you would like to use for your own login screen with Gimp or other image tools

3 , export the image to replace KaliLogin.png , (have to replace . if not , may not workable )

4 . reboot .

hope this can help you .

Quote Originally Posted by when123 View Post
    Hi I tried this way to change login in screen .

1. /usr/share/gnome-shell/themes/KaliLogin.png

2. open images which you would like to use for your own login screen with Gimp or other image tools

3 , export the image to replace KaliLogin.png , (have to replace . if not , may not workable )

4 . reboot .

hope this can help you .
    Yes this is the way to do it. After wasting hours on tutorials yours is the way to change the login background. Many thanks.
    puck

Linux localhost 4.6.0-kali1-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.6.4-1kali1 (2016-07-21) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    its not working for me ,