Thread: dual boot problem: forcing for full format

dual boot problem: forcing for full format

Hello, I am new to Linux installation. I am using win10 and created a 10gb separate partition for Linux with ntfs. Now I want to dual boot it.

I have read some docs available on Kali website. There it is said that while choosing partitpartition there will be an option saying ' Guided- use the largest continuous free space' and I will have to choose that. But the problem is I am not getting that option.

Quote Originally Posted by Pintu Das View Post
    Hello, I am new to Linux installation. I am using win10 and created a 10gb separate partition for Linux with ntfs. Now I want to dual boot it.

I have read some docs available on Kali website. There it is said that while choosing partitpartition there will be an option saying ' Guided- use the largest continuous free space' and I will have to choose that. But the problem is I am not getting that option.

Follow the steps in the official install guide:
    http://docs.kali.org/installation/du...i-with-windows

Free space is unformatted partition. You formatted your free space as a 10G NTFS partition?
    Linux does not use NTFS or FAT32 so this is a waste of time

From step 3 in gparted you should see a 10G NTFS partition choose delete to delete this partition
    (and make absolutely sure you pick the correct one otherwise you break windows) click "apply
    operation" in gparted and reboot.
    Then follow install from step 4 and you have unallocated space.

better and safer way for creating partition (unformatted space or free space) for any dual boot when is Windows is installed first is through
    windows Disk Management, and from that point just shrink main partition for another OS including Kali
    Of course when you shrink those partition just leave it like that (unformatted space or free space).
    Don't need to create any type of partiton.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum