Thread: Installing Kali 2.0 to Hard Disk: Problem making partitions.

Installing Kali 2.0 to Hard Disk: Problem making partitions.

Hello there
    I am trying to dual boot Kali 2.0 on my system (with Win 10) but in the installation process it says "This probably happened because there are too many Primary partitions in the partition table." This my disk:
    http://a43i.imgup.net/Capture066d.PNG

Please help

Let the free memory.

And Follow the steps in the official install guide and select “Guided – use the largest continuous free space"

http://docs.kali.org/installation/du...i-with-windows

Install the Linux Bootloader not in MBR but in the installation partition.

Then just adjust the boot loader on Windows 10 with EasyBCD and simply add the entry with Linux.
    http://www.heise.de/download/easybcd.html
    Last edited by Laserman75; 2015-11-23 at 16:13.

@alekhka
    on what partition is system? is there any partition with only personal file (music, documents, movie....)
    if it is, then with some free partition tool merge those partition with some other
    and try then to install Kali
    p.s. don't post same question at in another post. it is not necessary.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    @alekhka
    on what partition is system? is there any partition with only personal file (music, documents, movie....)
    if it is, then with some free partition tool merge those partition with some other
    The problem wasn't that i didn't have enough primary slots but that for to make a logical partition, It should be beside another logical one. Now I resolved that.
    I have 30GB space for Kali. I want to partition it before hand for Kali, please recommend how much I should split it like / , /home and swap.

Thank you

@alekhka
    The problem wasn't that i didn't have enough primary slots but that for to make a logical partition, It should be beside another logical one. Now I resolved that.
    I have 30GB space for Kali. I want to partition it before hand for Kali, please recommend how much I should split it like / , /home and swap.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by alekhka View Post
    I want to partition it before hand for Kali, please recommend how much I should split it like / , /home and swap.
    don't complicate. just put Kali at one partition and that is all. You need only one unformating (free) space (you have it at the end of your hdd). In the installation process chose "first free unpartition space" and Kali will install everything including swap partition.
    30GB is enough for Kali

don't complicate. just put Kali at one partition and that is all. You need only one unformating (free) space (you have it at the end of your hdd). In the installation process chose "first free unpartition space" and Kali will install everything including swap partition.
    30GB is enough for Kali
    That's where I get "Failed to partition the selected disk: This probably happened because there are too many Primary partitions in the partition table" error.

Thank you

ok. you have two solutions for this problem. first is to merge one partition (you chose which one) but it can ruin your system, and then try to install Kali
    the second way is to reformat your hdd and make another partition table
    if you don't like this approach you can try to install Kali on virtual machine or on usb (read on forum about it)

Now that I moved the unallocated space next to a logical partition, I was able to install Kali. Many thanks on that.

But now I get this error:
    "The 'grub-pc' package failed to install into /target/. Without the Grub boot loader, the installed system will not boot" .

By the way I am installing it through Live USB. The WiFi doesn't work now. Hopefully it will after installing.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by alekhka View Post
    Now that I moved the unallocated space next to a logical partition, I was able to install Kali. Many thanks on that.

But now I get this error:
    "The 'grub-pc' package failed to install into /target/. Without the Grub boot loader, the installed system will not boot" .

By the way I am installing it through Live USB. The WiFi doesn't work now. Hopefully it will after installing.

Thank you
    I am glad that you make it !
    Now read this post just to be sure how to proceed
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Kali-2-0-Sana