Thread: Kali + Hardware Compatibility Issues?

Kali + Hardware Compatibility Issues?

Hey Guys!

New on here and I have been searching google as well as the forum to the best of my ability regarding this subject.

I recently switched from a Macbook Pro Retina over to a Dell XPS 15 w/ 4K display, intel skylake, and geforce graphics card.

I have previous experience with VMWare Fusion Pro on the OS X Platform and was without any issues.

I am currently running VMWare Workstation 12 (I have also tried running 10) and I have tried to load up an already configured version of Kali 1/2 as well as a fresh copy of 2.0. The configured version is un-corrupted and working on other systems without issue.

The issue I am encountering is when I boot up the VM in regular or safe mode during the initial start up the console runs "booting kernel" I do not make it any further. Upon investigating I changed my display settings on VMWare's options to allow 3D graphics and set the resolution to 1080 and I was able to boot to the login screen but when I put in my credentials it simply boots black rather than to the desktop. I was able to get it to boot to safe mode with strictly command line..

I haven't seen anyone else having this issue so far online and was looking for a little insight.. I have tried different combinations of setting my host graphic settings down to 1080 to match the VMWare setting's for Kali, different network and graphics settings, allocating more ram or cpu power, but still no luck.

Is Kali having some sort of issue with my hardware and not properly able to identify it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I'd check the output of dmesg for anything weird. Also, anything in the logs at /var/log?

Having exactly the same issue

Quote Originally Posted by mbpmbpmbp View Post
    Hey Guys!

New on here and I have been searching google as well as the forum to the best of my ability regarding this subject.

I recently switched from a Macbook Pro Retina over to a Dell XPS 15 w/ 4K display, intel skylake, and geforce graphics card.

I have previous experience with VMWare Fusion Pro on the OS X Platform and was without any issues.

I am currently running VMWare Workstation 12 (I have also tried running 10) and I have tried to load up an already configured version of Kali 1/2 as well as a fresh copy of 2.0. The configured version is un-corrupted and working on other systems without issue.

The issue I am encountering is when I boot up the VM in regular or safe mode during the initial start up the console runs "booting kernel" I do not make it any further. Upon investigating I changed my display settings on VMWare's options to allow 3D graphics and set the resolution to 1080 and I was able to boot to the login screen but when I put in my credentials it simply boots black rather than to the desktop. I was able to get it to boot to safe mode with strictly command line..

I haven't seen anyone else having this issue so far online and was looking for a little insight.. I have tried different combinations of setting my host graphic settings down to 1080 to match the VMWare setting's for Kali, different network and graphics settings, allocating more ram or cpu power, but still no luck.

Is Kali having some sort of issue with my hardware and not properly able to identify it?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    This is the EXACT issue I am having as well.