Thread: Difference Between: "iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor" and "airmon-ng start wlan0"?

Difference Between: "iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor" and "airmon-ng start wlan0"?

Hello

I tried searching but I couldn't find anyone explain the difference between:

ifconfig wlan0 down
    iwconfig wlan0 mode monitor
    ifconfig wlan0 up

AND

airmon-ng start wlan0

Both these methods place the wireless adapter into monitor mode except iwconfig keeps the monitor mode on wlan0 and airmon-ng starts monitor mode on mon0. Is one of them better/worse or has some kind of advantage/disadvantage over the other? Please explain.

Thanks

I'm no wireless expert, but there's no difference that I know. I prefer using airmon-ng to put my wireless card in monitor mode, just because it's less typing.

From what I know, airmon-ng is part of the aircrack suite. Whereas the 'iwconfig' method should run natively on any Linux box using commands already present. Also airmon-ng creates a virtual interface, hence the mon0, but the 'iwconfig' method does not. It seems from my experience airmon-ng won't work on some hardware either. I was having trouble with a broadcom card and airmon-ng. It was creating a strange interface (wlan0mon) and wouldn't go into monitor mode. But using the 'iwconfig' method, no problem. It works on all my cards perfectly. I just throw the commands into a bash script for ease.

Hi Kalikali et All,

I seem to be having trouble with
    airmon-ng as well (getting a wlan0mon interface), running Edimax USB.

What's the command then to turn off monitor mode in iwconfig, since you said it keeps mon mode on? Or will a reboot be needed to reset?

Thanks,

Chemikul30
    Last edited by chemikul30; 2015-12-15 at 00:48.

To turn off monitor mode, you'll need to bring your device down, then back up. In your case, using ifconfig wlan0 down, then ifconfig wlan0 up should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    To turn off monitor mode, you'll need to bring your device down, then back up. In your case, using ifconfig wlan0 down, then ifconfig wlan0 up should do it.
    Thanks Grid. I could've thought that one through some and tested. Thx for the functional fix!!

checmikul30

To bring the interface back, you should have to bring it down first then type

iwconfig wlan0 mode managed

Quote Originally Posted by aanarchyy View Post
    To bring the interface back, you should have to bring it down first then type

iwconfig wlan0 mode managed
    I noticed that down/up didn't change the mode back. Thanks for the integral step aanarchy!!

chem'30.

No problem, chemikul30