Thread: Installation on small laptop possible?

Question Installation on small laptop possible?

Hello Forum,

I have an old IBM X24 on which I want to install Kali. The laptop has 368 MB of RAM. At the monent Archlinux is installed on this machine - which does of course not use Gnome 3 but XFCE as DE. This works more or less fast. I want to install Kali to play with it (my working system will still be Archlinux).

All installation documentation talks about more than 512 MB RAM (which means: no chance to install Kali 2.0). Booting from Live-DVD takes some time(TM) of course, but it works (awfully slow with Gnome running from DVD).

Is there a chance to install Kali on that small laptop? I think, it is possible to change from Gnome to XFCE later, because Kali is Debian-based, right?

Thank you for your answers,

Photor

Hello Forum,

additional note: as I understand, Kali is based on Debian. Debian comes with a minimum requirement for RAM of 256 MB (with desktop)
    according to https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch03s04.html.en.

Just want to know, if it is worth killing my Archlinux on that machine and if there is a chance to get Kali installed at all. After that I want to replace Gnome with XFCE (or even a DE with smaller memory usage).

Ciao,

Photor

If you really wanted to, you could create some swap space which acts as RAM albeit at very slow speeds. Kali 2.0 uses a GNOME 3 desktop environment that, for a full session, requires 768 MB. The only way I can think of getting Kali 2.0 to work is by using the swap space as mentioned earlier.

Thank you Dannyboy for your reply.

I want to install Kali and then replace Gnome by a smaller DE (e.g. XFCE). I hope/guess this is possible. Some time ago this laptop was running Debian (Gnome 2) and now is running Arch with XFCE (of course with some SWAP-space). So, I know how good or bad, fast or slow the machine works. The only question is, if I can _install_ Kali with that small amount of RAM (maybe RAM is needed during installation, maybe someone has made this experience).