Thread: AWUS036H, Disconnects, Server not found, Unable to connect...

AWUS036H, Disconnects, Server not found, Unable to connect...

Hi, first I aplogize for my english, i'm French.

So i'm here because I need help to troubleshoot my new AWUS036H ordered one month ago.

I buyed it because it was the "reference" and most recommanded usb wifi that I saw on Kali Linux's forums. It was supposed to be the one working "out of the box" but well, it wasn't really my case.

When I first plugged it in, it was able to search for networks, but when now I'm trying to connect to a network, it can whether work or not, if not it might be a lot of reason, sometimes it's 'unable to connect' or 'server not found' or sometimes it just won't connect to my network and I have to restart the wifi (ifconfig wlan0 down/up).

But it's not the only problems, when the wifi is actually working, sometimes it crashes and it's at random moments and when it happends I have to restart agaaiin the wifi. It's becoming really boring for a supposed working out of box wifi...

I already tried many solutions found on the internet, like 'iwconfig wlan0 rate 54M auto' or restart dhcp service (which don't seems to work).

Informations:
    ---------------------------------------
    - Computer: ASUS TP300LD (have built-in wifi but i can't disable it on the bios it's an MT7630E).

- Chipset : Realtek semiconductor Corp. RTL8187 Wireless Adapter.

- Vendor : ALFA

- Model : AWUS036H

- Channel : 1 (already changed it because it was on 11 but my neighbourgh was already using it, i'm the only one on this channel now))

- Kali Linux version : 2.0 64bit (dual-boot)
    -----------------------------------------

Stages :
    -----------------------------------------
    1) Is the OS able to detect it ? Yes

2) Is there an interface ? Yes (wlan0 managed mode, tx power=20dbm, retry short limit=7, rts thr=off, fragment thr=off, encryption key=off, power management=off

3) RFKILL LIST show that nothing is blocked excpeted bluetooth(I disabled it because it's useless for me and change nothing to the problem)

4) I have a strong signal like 80%, using WPA/WPA2, DHCP active, no mac filtering.

5) Working in monitor mode, can search for networks when activated.

6) Injection is working I got 30/30:100% on my wifi spot (power -48.67).
    ------------------------------------------

Thanks!

Up, even with ubuntu I got theses problems but not with Windows 10 (not supposed to be compatible)...

Never heard of an AWUS036H behaving this way. I've had one for some time, and it's always worked flawlessly.

Have you tried it on a different USB port, or in a different computer?

Quote Originally Posted by grid View Post
    Never heard of an AWUS036H behaving this way. I've had one for some time, and it's always worked flawlessly.

Have you tried it on a different USB port, or in a different computer?
    Hi, thanks for your help,

Yes I already tried on a different port and on a different computer and here is the result :

• Changing port change nothing
    • Using another computer with Kali change nothing
    • Using Windows works (but it's not supposed to be fully compatible with windows 10 so it's weird because it works better than on linux!)

I saw many forums speaking of this problem and they all gives differents solutions, some can work but it's never permanent.

I tried on Kali Linux using VirtualBox on Windows 10 and it seems to work fines but the problem is that when I use for exemple airodump to search for network, sometimes it works or sometimes it detect only 4/5 wifi when it's supposed to found nearly 20.

Now i'm trying to download a 5Go file using FTP, there is still crashes but it reconnect itself and continue to download the file...

I am having the same problem as you, in about the same environment. I have been troubleshooting this for so many hours, and it looks like it is a problem with the 4.0.0 kernel in Kali. If I fire up Kali 1.10a I have no problems at all. Neither when running airmon on other distros using 3.x kernel.

By looking around on the forums it seems like quite a lot of people are having problems with the driver for AWUS036XX.

You may want to report this to the Kali team at bugs.kali.org

It's possible the wireless card is just defective.

A small update in case someone from the future reads this. I got my AWUS036NH to work on Kali in the VirtualBox by simply filtering it as an USB 1.1 instead of USB 2 in VirtualBox. Why that is and what it effects, I dont know really, but I am now able to switch flawlessly between monitor and managed mode, and it does not lose connection.