Thread: How to view a WPA2 hash string?

How to view a WPA2 hash string?

I am having trouble viewing a WPA2 hash in text form?

I currently grab a WPA2 handshake, clean up the file to the 4 needed packets, and then convert it to a hccap file.

I then change the file to text, and try viewing it but it only shows lots of random numbers and little pictures?

I've also tried keeping the file in hccap format, and then viewing the contents of the file in the Kali command line. This still shows little pictures and numbers.

Is it not possible to view a WPA2 hash?

Am i missing something here?

Any help would be great.

Thankyou.

The random numbers and little pictures are what you usually see when you try to view a binary file as text. Maybe try using a hex editor like Bless and see what you get.

Thank you for your reply

I had a look at the file in the hex editor, im still not to sure what im looking for in the hex editor, in terms of viewing the actual hash string?

Thanks again

use wireshark to "view" correctly the strings

Quote Originally Posted by jacke4123 View Post
    Thank you for your reply

I had a look at the file in the hex editor, im still not to sure what im looking for in the hex editor, in terms of viewing the actual hash string?

Thanks again
    Well, that sort of leads to the question why are you trying to view the hash string? If you try opening it with Wireshark it will break down the packet for you, but if you are trying to open it in a hex editor you can view the raw packet as-is (Wireshark also shows this on the bottom). When doing raw socket programming I will look at the data with a hex editor, but then I have a specific purpose in mind. What are you really trying to do? There may be an easier way.

If you want to see what's inside, Wireshark is good. If it's for educational purpose and understanding packet structure, Wireshark can be good but makes it too easy at times. Getting the packet header structures online and dissecting it yourself can teach you about how the protocols work. If you are looking for the hash to crack, then you are doing it the hard way. Just put the whole handshake file in a cracking program.