Thread: Full install to USB stick - wont boot

Full install to USB stick - wont boot

Hey

I have some problems installing Kali 2.0 onto a USB stick. First time it worked fine but suddenly the Installation that was on the USB stick didnt shutdown anymore so i reinstalled it but whatever i do, it wont boot up.
    I have tryed a few things:

Used the same image as before (i know it works because it did before) -> made a bootable live USB with Universal USB builder thingy-> boot it -> choose the first option, to run the normal live version. -> this works OK.

using the same live USB stick -> Graphical install -> Installing to another (bigger) USB stick, one partition and also grub loader -> Installation finishes fine -> boot from newly made stick, doesnt boot. I get the blinking cursor and it moved down one line and then just stops...(continues blinking though)

It might be that the bigger usb stick is broken in some way... i did a sector check and everything should be ok... i dont have another stick thats big enough to install it onto and actually put all the extra files in.

Does anyone know what might be the problem?

EDIT: i just made the bigger USB stick into a live stick and that works fine... so ruling out the USB stick itself as fault?
    Also when i boot up live with presistance, it doesnt shutdown. (biger usb stick)
    Last edited by sajansen; 2015-12-21 at 13:57.

I have a similar experience. I downloaded and verified the distribution. I burned it "live" as an ISO to a DVD and was able to boot from the DVD. I attempted to create a bootable USB stick. I used dd and copied the distro to the USB. I verified the stick was bootable. No success. I installed Kali from the DVD to the USB stick, verified it was bootable and there was a swap space. It would not boot. With the same USB stick, I was able to dd a copy of Kali, boot that, then run the "live" version of Kali.
    I do not know what I am doing incorrectly. Target is a SanDisk Cruizer 32 GB, re-partitioned to be empty (no partitions). I used the "Install Kali" from the menu on the live DVD. I used gparted to ensure the "boot" flag was set. No success. Then I dd'ed the Kali across, with success.
    If anyone has advice, I would appreciate it.

Experiencing exactly the same and not really a linux wizard (yet). Doing first steps with kali. Will be following this thread

use this method for usb installation (if you can and if your bios have virtual tehnology)
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ind-of-problem
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    use this method for usb installation (if you can and if your bios have virtual tehnology)
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ind-of-problem
    Great! My work laptop refuses to run vrtuabox due to some security software, however I will try this as soon as I get home!!