Thread: Wireshark in Monitor Mode (LiveDVD)

Wireshark in Monitor Mode (LiveDVD)

I'm devloping a simple wifi iot device, but need some visibility into what is being sent/received by the device. Hoping to use Kali Linux since I've read the winpcap driver shipped with Wireshark and Acrylic do NOT support monitor mode in Windows.

I haven't been able to find if Wireshark comes with Kali like it did with Backtrack, but assuming it can be installed along with a Kali LiveDVD, what would the process look like to setup wireshare in monitor mode?

I found this thread, but it seems to be intended for monitor mode to do pentration/wpa2 testing.. what I need is Wireshark to debug the unencrypted traffic to/from the iot device I'm developing
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ight=wireshark

I have several usb wifi dongles with different chipsets, hoping one of them could do the trick : Broadcom BCM43526, Realtek RT3070/RT3072/RT3290/RT5370/RTL8187L/RTL8188cus

Wireshark does come with Kali, but I'd suggest installing Kali so you get the full benefit of writing packet captures to disk.

Try monitor mode on one of the Realtek chipsets first. My experience with Broadcom chipsets has been hit-and-miss with monitor mode & injection.