Thread: No GUI after Nvidiadriver installation

No GUI after Nvidiadriver installation

Hey guys,
    yesterday I downloaded and installed the nvidia Driver for my Geforce 840M, first via:
    apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade && apt-get install -y linux-headers-$(uname -r) && apt-get install nvidia-kernel-dkms
    sed 's/quiet/quiet nouveau.modeset=0/g' -i /etc/default/grub
    update-grub
    reboot
    After that I got the "Oh no! Something has gone wrong"error
    So I downloaded the Nvidiadriver.run from nvidia.com and
    apt-get purge nvidia*
    apt-get purge nvidia-*
    Service gdm3 stop
    ./Nvidiadriver.run
    Everything ended with no error
    After reboot the GUI didn´t start I can only Login in tty1-tty6. I tried Service gdm3 stop
    Service gdm3 start but nothing happened. When I type startx :

Fatal Server error:
    (EE) no Screens found
    (EE)
    Please consult the X.org Foundation Support
    at http://wiki.x.org
    for help [...]
    clxinit: giving up
    xinit: unable to connect to X Server: Connection refused
    xinit: Server error

my /var/log/Xorg.0.log Shows also only that
    [ 102.308] (EE) no Screens found (EE)

I don´t know which Information can help so please tell me. By the way my .xsession-errors is attached
    20151231_181345.jpg20151231_181345.jpg

I have an Asus laptop with GTX 950 installed on AND a dedicated Intel VGA with 2 GBs of memory. the Intel VGA is the main one tho because it uses much less power and less everything. it's good for normal usage. why? well many reasons
    1. it will not heat up
    2. you are on LINUX!!!!!
    3. even on windows, you still use the dedicated graphics! only on games and specific programs it will launch
    well the number 1 is the main reason you shouldn't be using that graphic card. so if I was you, here's what I'd do:
    1. remove every nvidia related component
    2. reboot
    if you are unable to remove the nvidia and you can not use the OS, I suggest you back your data up and do a clean install of kali.
    in many cases there is a problem when booting up to linux because sometimes (8/10) the gdm3 service wouldn't start because the x.server wouldn't connect to the Intel VGA it thinks that it should start the nvidia one and when it can not start the nvidia, it will also fail to start the gdm3 or sometimes it will skip the nvidia part after it realizes it's not able to start nvidia. so the problem is to make the system FORCE SKIP that part where it checks for nvidia drivers and go straight to the Intel VGA. to do that do the following:
    1. boot up the grub2
    2. on the OS hit 'e'.
    3. on the kernel line add the following: "nouveau.modeset=0"
    4. hit "Ctrl + x" to boot the system up
    now when the OS boots up it will automatically connect Intel VGA to xserver and start the gdm3 in no time! it worked for me though. BTW everytime you boot up you must do the step 1 to 4.

Thanks for fast advice, but I want to set up the nvidiadriver correctly/or want to know what I have to edit so that my G840M works.