Thread: Kali Dual Boot problem after installation

Kali Dual Boot problem after installation

Hello, after a long time of dualboot with windows 10 and ubuntu, I tried to install Kali instead of Ubuntu. I mount it on a USB and the installation went fine but when the pc restarted, the grub doesn't show me the options (kali, windows 10, ecc). Itt it says " Minimal BASH-like line editing is supported. For the first word, TAB lists possible command..." and nothing won't start. If I press f12 before this appear, I can choose to boot windows, but I'm not able to boot Kali. I tried reinstalling over ad over but it gives me always this window. What can I do? Thanks

if you have normal bios read this:
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...-Kali-2-0-Sana
    if you have UEFI bios read this
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ndows-8-8-1-10

and before installation once again from Windows delete those kali partition and leave it like free (unformated) space
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

I followed the UEFI's one, the installation went fine, but when I reboot after installing the grub I still get the grub prompt. I figured out how to boot kali from grub prompt but I every time I reboot the prompt appear. How can I see the entry of OS?

I think I have resolved the problem. I run from windows bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path /EFI/Kali/grub64.efi and now the grub shows the menu list

Quote Originally Posted by scemodicecosa View Post
    I followed the UEFI's one, the installation went fine, but when I reboot after installing the grub I still get the grub prompt. I figured out how to boot kali from grub prompt but I every time I reboot the prompt appear. How can I see the entry of OS?
    then you did something wrong. maybe you didn't prepare your computer well, like legacy boot, secure boot, fast boot...
    maybe you didn't check sha1sum of downloaded Kali img
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    then you did something wrong. maybe you didn't prepare your computer well, like legacy boot, secure boot, fast boot...
    maybe you didn't check sha1sum of downloaded Kali img
    I think that was something wrong with "bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path /EFI/Kali/grub64.efi", because when I installed ubuntu in the past I used the same command but with "/ubuntu/.." instead of "/kali/.." . It was like if every time I boot my pc it loads the ubuntu grub and not the kali one.

I installed Kali to dualboot with windows 10. But even after successful installation I am not able to boot KALI.
    Every time Win 10 is getting booted directly. Kindly advise any fix for this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    I installed Kali to dualboot with windows 10. But even after successful installation I am not able to boot KALI.
    Every time Win 10 is getting booted directly. Kindly advise any fix for this issue.
    Do you install in the same partition with Win10? If yes, go to BIOS, and disable "Secure Boot". Also take care that Kali is first on Boot options in BIOS.