Thread: [Beginner] Installing Kali on a Chromebook without using Crouton or dual booting

[Beginner] Installing Kali on a Chromebook without using Crouton or dual booting

Hi everyone

I'm fairly new to Kali so please be gentle.

I want to buy a Chromebook, delete ChromeOS, and install Kali. I'd like the laptop to be able to boot like a normal laptop, and I log into Kali like normal. The sound / camera / USB ports should work as normal.

I've read this is not possible, as Chromebooks are setup to boot into ChromeOS only. Which leads me to believe it's not a simple case of sticking a USB key into the USB port, rebooting, and installing Kali.

Is there any way to accomplish what I want?

Thanks for your advice.

Linda

Good question...I've always used Kali (and BackTrack, before that) on laptops or desktops.

If you've got Kali on a USB drive, and set the Chromebook to boot from USB, then Kali should install. As said though, I've never tried it.

"Is there any way to accomplish what I want?"
    yes, there is always way, but
    "I want to buy a Chromebook, delete ChromeOS"
    ChromeOS is designed for Chromebook and bying Chromebook just to delete ChromeOS is unusaual request
    I would rather recommend to buy some other, for example, DOS based notebook for your needs.
    that is my opinion.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

I agree with duxim...Kali is less likely to complain about your hardware if you install on a notebook.

My understanding was Chromebooks are perfect for Kali because they're designed to work with Linux (ChromeOS), and they're very cheap.

I'd say that's true for a standard Linux distro (i.e. Mint, Ubuntu, etc). Since Kali is heavily customized from the kernel on up, running it on a Chromebook may or may not be a smooth experience.