Thread: userid and password information needed (very new user)

Unhappy userid and password information needed (very new user)

Hi,

I've tried several different approaches to bring up a Kali system, most without success. Here's what I have tried so far:

1 - I tried the VMWare image first. When starting the system, I received a prompt for a userid. The documentation I read only mentioned a possible password of 'toor'. I tried passwords of "Admin" and "Administrator" (also in all lower case) and in the next screen I entered 'toor' but the combinations were alll rejected.

2 - Next I tried building the VMWare image myself from the ISO image. The build appeared to go OK, but I got the same results when trying to run it. During the build, I was asked only for a password, but the one I provided wasn't accepted. During the build, there was no prompt for a userid.

3 - I built a USB key from the ISO image, and that started OK, without prompting for either a userid or password.

I may have missed something in the documentation, but so far my searches have returned nothing.

Did you try username "root" password "toor"?

userid and password information needed

Quote Originally Posted by aephlux View Post
    Did you try username "root" password "toor"?
    Thank very much for response.

The userid of "root" did the trick. Because I had entered my own password during the VMWare build, that was what I needed instead of "toor" but if I try the prebuilt VMWare image, I'm sure "toor" would work then.

Thanks again.....