Thread: Live CD wont boot to menu

Live CD wont boot to menu

Hello everyone,

Sorry if this is a duplicate somewhere but I couldn't find the solution.

I am trying to install Kali 2.0. When I try and boot from the external DVD drive, you can see the lights going for a few seconds, then it stops spinning and the display screen stays in a black state. No logo, no nothing. I have tried a second USB portable DVD drive and it is the same. I have also tried two different DVDs. I went in the BIOS and disabled UEFI, Secure Boot, and enabled Legacy boot prior to trying. I have tried two different methods with a USB stick. Yumi and a windows image program. It wont boot to a menu with those either. I tried to install Backbox as another option and it does the same thing. The kicker, it loads up and installs Linux Mint 17.3 with no issue from a DVD.

I am running a Lenovo ThinkPad T450s. 12GB of ram, CPU is an i5 5200u, Intel graphics 5500 and wireless. I have the same setup at work only the CPU is a 5300U, instead and it loads the DVD for Kali fine. I The bios on my work machine is one version behind mine. I checked to compare and make sure I have the items set the same, which I do.

I am very confused and frustrated. I hope someone can help me figure this out

Thank you,

Tnielsen

Issue Resolved

There is a section in the bios for a security chip. It was set as inactive. I switched it to active and the issue was resolved. I can now boot Kali from a live CD.