Thread: Installing Kali Linux on USB Flash Drive Error

Installing Kali Linux on USB Flash Drive Error

I'm in the process of installing Kali Linux on a flash drive. I used Win32DiskImager to install the iso and then went into BIOS to boot to usb first. When I get to installing the GRUB I get the following error and when I click to proceed I get another error. I'm entering into my usb using UEFI mode. Sorry, I couldn't upload the images because I guess they're to large so I'll try to shrink them. The error message says "Install the GRUB boot loader on a hard disk Unable to install GRUB in dummy Executing 'grub-install dummy failed". Does anyone know what could be wrong?
    Attached Images Attached Images

read this post for UEFI installaton
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ndows-8-8-1-10)
    Last edited by duxim; 2016-01-21 at 19:39.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

I'm just going to download Kali 2016 and try that out. I've heard it works just fine on a usb with a Dell Inspirion which I have!

Well Kali 2016 stopped on the same process! I think after a week of trying I'm going to stick to VirtualBox. Anyway it's stops while it says "Configure the package manager." I click continue through the errors and it says to "Install the GRUB boot loader on hard disk." After installation it goes back to the screen that asks what kind of installation you want to use. Just for curiosity does anyone know where I can get the boot loader from to load it?

i selected no to Grub then installed manually on /dev #5 (boot partition) then rebbot in windows and used EasyBCD to initiate dual boot

Thanks, I'll try EasyBCD out!

Okay, I'm going to try this one more time! I have this pdf called Kali Linux Cookbook. On a page called Installing to a USB drive with persistent
    memory it says to use Win32 Disk Imager and then right after that it says to use UNetbootin. It doesn't say anything about using one or the other, the paragraph just has one after the other like you're supposed to use both! Is that true?

use only Win32 Disk Imager in Windows or dd command in Linux if you want to do it w/o mistakes
    http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...ve-usb-install
    Unetbootin works with older Kali like 1.x
    Repetitio est mater studiorum