Thread: VPN connected but really isn't?

VPN connected but really isn't?

Hey there guys,

I recently upgraded from Sana to Rolling on a fresh install. So, I began adding back all of my usual files, VPNs to be specific. I usually use this command to make my Network Manager allow me to make VPN Connections

Code:
    aptitude -r install network-manager-openvpn-gnome network-manager-pptp network-manager-pptp-gnome network-manager-strongswan network-manager-vpnc network-manager-vpnc-gnome
    So I used the auto-config files provided by my provider, and everything was nice and dandy. Until I tried testing it. I noticed when using geo-locater websites, like "ipinfo.info", it still says my home I.P. address. I then tried to configure the connections manually but even then it still doesn't work. So, here I am.

I did notice that I had to restart Kali because it wouldn't allow me to connect to any of the connections at first, but then after the restart everything seemed fine. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same trouble.

Also, I am using Kali as the main OS on my laptop. And the only repo I am using is the official Kali rolling, not the old Sana.

I'm having the same issue. It's stating VPN connection is established but it's really not. I'm using cyberghost also

Oops replied twice
    Last edited by AbsurdBrian; 2016-02-08 at 07:40. Reason: Accidental duplicate

I am having the same issue. Been working on it all night and it's driving me crazy. I'm using PIA for my VPN. It says it connects fine, but when I check my actual public IP is still showing on whatsmyip.org. I don't know what else to try.