Thread: Kali 2.0 no gui after Kali-Rolling release update goes wrong

Kali 2.0 no gui after Kali-Rolling release update goes wrong

Hi, I have installed kali linux 2.0 ( 64Bit ) directly to a Desktop hard disk. I was updating kali 2.0 to rolling release, screen got locked during update & when i try to enter valid username/password it didn't work, i clicked try another user by mistake all of sudden screen goes blank & i get a non gui log in. is there any way to fix this ? i have important files of various virtual machines inside at least if i can access GUI i cant copy all contents to external hard drive & make a fresh install, i tried to copy through command line but it was friendly either, kindly suggest me fix.

Regards
    rowertwins

Your best bet is probably to do a fresh install. There is already a thread about warning users to turn off the screen lock before upgrading: https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...lock-off-first!

Quote Originally Posted by Rowertwins View Post
    i have important files of various virtual machines inside at least if i can access GUI i cant copy all contents to external hard drive & make a fresh install, i tried to copy through command line but it was friendly either, kindly suggest me fix.
    to do this bring some linux in live mode and copy yours data or use tools like Hiren's boot disk
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Thank you @ aephlux , @ duxim, i made a fresh install on Lenovo Thinkcentre Desktop Hard drive, however i was able to recover the internal stuff by logging into terminal using ALT+CTRL+F1 and then create a mounting point somewhere for external hard drive.
    takes some time to copy. Reinstalling a fresh copy was not easy though bootable usb was not detected again gave a mounting error " invalid argument " so it was asking for CD-ROM, at this moment i unplugged usb & plugged back suddenly it was detected so i was able to install successfully.