Thread: Can I Persist the OS Partition, not just a Data Partition?

Can I Persist the OS Partition, not just a Data Partition?

I am sure that this has been asked, and I have been looking for the answer for the last 30 minutes, but I have not seen an answer (I saw a similar unanswered question).

Q. Can I install Kali (preferably) or any other Linux to a Thumb Drive and Persist the OS Partition and not just a Data Partition. So my vision is, I setup a 32 or 64 G thumb Drive with a Linux Partition and a Data Partition. I apt-get and setup numerous other programs I use (not pen-testing related), I customize the OS to with my preferences, I store data on the Data partition etc. Then I decide to watch my moms house for the weekend, so I eject my thumb drive, go to her house, stick my thumb drive in and viola' I have a Linux machine with my programs, settings, and data and I am able to carry it in my pocket.

So basically in short, a portable computer on a Thumb Drive (Customized OS and Data), able to fit in my shirt pocket.

Thanks in advance.

use this method to accomplish your task
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ind-of-problem
    My recommendation is to use usb 3.0 memory stick and if it possible 3.0 usb port on comp
    you will need every time to change boot sequence (on another comp) to usb
    you can use this this method for many Linux distro
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Ref: Master Trick - How to install Kali on USB without any Problem

Quote Originally Posted by duxim View Post
    use this method to accomplish your task
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...ind-of-problem
    My recommendation is to use usb 3.0 memory stick and if it possible 3.0 usb port on comp
    you will need every time to change boot sequence (on another comp) to usb
    you can use this this method for many Linux distro
    First, Thank you for the response and the link to this post. I do plan to try all this this weekend. I must say that while this solution looks workable, it seems strange that the Linux community must travel around the moon to get next door. What would be really cool is a check box or item select on boot screen / or maybe a check box somewhere during the making of a USB, that says something to the effect "Persist all OS Changes". That would seem easier. The LiveUSB thing is good, but a PersistedUSB would be a cool option as well.

Thank you again for your input and the link! I am grateful.