I want to build a Kali server on a AWS EC2 instance; I've run the scripts at: https://github.com/offensive-security/kali-cloud-build and everything worked with the exception of registering an AMI with the snapshot (which I had to manually do because of the version of Unbuntu and the updates to register-image). I then launched an instance based on that AMI image and it booted; but couldn't SSH into the box nor were any ports open. (security rules were open); so I assume maybe something wrong with the snapshot - I mounted the volume to a working instance and was able to view the drive contents. Everything looked "OK" - but I'm not sure what to look for. I did notice that the /home folder was empty - so not sure if any users were created or how someone would access the box.

Is there something wrong with the image that I must correct; is there something wrong with the kali-cloud-build that I must correct? What is the best way for me to build or access an AMI image that can be used to launch an instance?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.