Thread: Kali Wifi Adapter Problem

Kali Wifi Adapter Problem

Hi everyone,

First time posting, so excuse any mix-ups I might make this time around.

So, I've got Kali Linux booted up in a virtual box and I bought an Alfa awus036neh adapter a while back. Worked as expected for a while, but last week, after I did an update in Kali, it didn't work quite right. I mean, I can still pick up wi-fi signals normally no problem, but if I go into monitor mode and start airodump-ng, I can't seem to pick anything up, even after doing airmon-ng check kill. I've even done an update or two since to see if that does anything (which it doesn't, of course, but I figured it was worth a shot). I've done lsmod and it seems like it's spitting out an error, but I have no idea how to fix it.

Looks like the errors I'm getting from dmesg are:

rt2x00usb_vendor_request: Error - Vendor Request 0x07 failed for offset 0x0208 with error -110
    rt2x00usb_vendor_request: Error - Vendor Request 0x07 failed for offset 0x1004 with error -110
    rt2x00usb_vendor_request: Error - Vendor Request 0x06 failed for offset 0x1004 with error -110

and

rt2800_wait_wpdma_ready: Error - WPDMA TX/RX busy [0xffffffff]

A lsusb check says that I'm using an rt2870/rt3070 chipset (I'm assuming it's a chipset, anyways).

So, seemings how my Google-fu is kinda weak this time of night, my question is this: any idea on how to fix this issue (or multiple issues, as the case may be)?
    Last edited by samuraijack2k6; 2016-02-11 at 02:37. Reason: more info

Oh, and I've done lsusb. Looks to be that my alfa is listed as a ralink rt2870/rt3070. Figured that might be of help to someone.

Did you try installing the firmware-realtek or firmware-ralink package? Then restart to reload modules.

I just tried installing 'em. Apparently had the latest versions already, but I restarted just to be on the safe side. Looks like no change.

I have the same problem. Can't make it work on Virtualbox. I try with the Virtualbox Image but still nothing.

rt2870/rt3070 isn't Realtek, it's Ralink.
    RE: Virtual machines: I stopped trying to use VM's a long time ago because I had so much trouble getting them to "grab" my usb devices. Sorry I can't be of more help.