Thread: Fails installing Nvidia drivers on Kali Linux 2.0

Exclamation Fails installing Nvidia drivers on Kali Linux 2.0

Hey guys, I'm new here to the Kali Community.
    so recently i'v been struggling with the latest kali linux 2.0 rolling when installing Nvidia drivers.
    I have Asus laptop with 125 SSD / 1TB HDD and Nvidia GeForce 960M. I installed Kali on my HDD so that i can manage dual-boot with the SSD (Windows 10). and everything went fine!
    until i run kali Linux and it freezes in login screen "System-default" login type ( i think cuz of the drivers ) so i login in (GNOME on Wayland) and it logins fine.
    and then the Nouvera drivers start and make that noise. (ovsiuasly cuz there are no Nvidia drivers installed i think!?)
    I followed many tutorials here and the original tutorial from the docs :

but i always end up with one of these things:
    1- oh no something has gone wrong [Error screen]
    2- can't login via the GUI login screen (doesn't show up) and stuck at tty1,2,3,etc. and sometimes freezes here.
    3- The drivers cannot be installed successfully (somethings are missing).
    4- when i download the drivers from nvidia website they don't run and freeze sometimes.

I also tried to apt-get update and dist-upgrade before installing any thing, and one more time without apt-get update and dist-upgrade.

I'v tried so many methods to attempt to install the Nvidia drivers but all of them failed. if someone can help me or give me another method or tell me what i should do
    to fix this it would be much appreciated. I will also make tutorial when i figure this out!

Thanks in advance!

Hey,

I also had issues (similar) installing NVIDIA drivers, but Kali Linux worked without them when I installed it on my HDD, so now I use it with whatever the default drivers Kali Linux has for graphics.

@kvadrat yeah its working without the Nvidia drivers, but the cpu or the gpu will always run i think cuz it makes noise and get overheated.
    Also i need to install the drivers to get oclhashcat working.

UPDATE: I got it all sorted out finally. it took me 3 days to figure it out lol. I will make tutorial on how i did it for you guys
    close thread.

Looking forward to seeing your tutorial, I was able to get Nvidia drivers installed, now working on getting CUDA up and running.

Quote Originally Posted by M0HX View Post
    UPDATE: I got it all sorted out finally. it took me 3 days to figure it out lol. I will make tutorial on how i did it for you guys
    close thread.

I registered here just to say my congratulations. I will also be waiting for your tutorial. Been struggling with the nvidia driver for two weeks now.

Yeah man, I'm really waiting for your tutorial. Can't fix this problem for 3 days now, don't even know what can I do else

Hey guys, reinstall kali to the ssd or hdd and try my step
    https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...an-t-start-gui