Thread: All desktop icons gone, Files closes

All desktop icons gone, Files closes

None of my desktop icons are visible, and as soon as I open the Files manager it closes right away. None of the "Places" locations will open. files are still there just not visible can anyone help me? I am not super savvy with Linux so please be patient if I don't understand a complex response.

I am running Kali Linux 2.0 (32bit) on an old Toshiba Satellite Laptop.'

I am not getting any error messages

Misc: I just finished recovering my system from a crash after an attempted upgrade to Rolling Kali that left me crashing in start up every time, leaving me only access to the terminal. I finally got this fixed by using the "purge" command on the nvidia drivers (even though I think the laptop is running integrated intel graphics accelerator)

I have already tried changing my source.list to the rolling.source list and the sana source list and running the update/upgrade and neither of which has helped.

Additionally i have now discovered that i have no audio as well. In the top right pull-down menu there isn't even an icon next to the top slider bar
    Last edited by Jargon3.14; 2016-02-14 at 03:14.

I had same but mine was on a Vbox install. Reinstalling guest additions fixed it. You don't mention vbox so this probably doesn't apply but thought I'd toss it out just in case.

as AWV wrote reinstall Kali once again is best option no mater is it on VB or hdd
    Repetitio est mater studiorum