Thread: Kali suddenly has no GUI

Kali suddenly has no GUI

Hello,
    The last time I've been using Kali was ~2 Months ago, the last time I used it was when DirBuster went unresponsive and then the whole virtual machine with it, so I terminated the entire VMWare process in order to close it.
    Now, when I wanted to enter Kali again, I get a login prompt, then I log in and all I see is a black screen with a command prompt, there is no Desktop or Interface like it used to...

I could just delete it and Install it again, but I have some data inside that I wish to preserve, could you help me get it work again? Here is a picture of what I was talking about:
    Untitled.jpg

And I'd also mention that I have no more memory to fit in any data on the virtual machine, how could I increase the max space from just 30GB to something larger, like 100GB?
    Last edited by vurazz; 2016-02-15 at 14:45.

can anyone help?

try

rm /.Xauthority

then reboot

If you need to save your data, make another machine and attach the kali-disc (not as the main-disc!).

To increase your disc size, have a look at the settings in your vmware-player. You can increase your disk in the "storage"-part or just attach another disk into another drive.

Sadly I dont know your actual problem.. Something with gnome might be broken..
    regards, reidamaxia

---------------------------------------------------
    <<The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.>>
    On Github: https://github.com/reidamaxia
    ---------------------------------------------------

I opened Kali a while ago, luckily, without doing anything, it started working normally, but thank you for the replies...

I am sorry if this is not related to the topic title, but I'd want to ask you how to actually expand the disk space.
    I've already expanded it from 30gb to 100gb in the VM options, as you said, and then I went into Kali and I used fdisk -l to see all the partitions of the kali machine, there are 4 partitions, /dev/sda that has 100GB of space( the recently added memory is still unused), then there is /dev/sda1,2 and 3... And my question is how do I allocate the new free space to /dev/sda1, that is the boot partition? What are the exact fdisk commands? And do I have to add any memory to /dev/sda2 and 3? They both are 1.3GB of size..

Thanks in advance