Thread: Kali 2016 not booting when installed to USB flash drive

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Kali 2016 not booting when installed to USB flash drive

In the past I've had no problems installing the original Kali Linux, Kali 2.0, or Kali 2016. However, I now am. Previously I've always dual or triple booted it on my main hard drive in my laptop or desktop, but now I want to install it solely on a 128gb flash drive I have. Going through the normal instalation process I've tried manually configuring two partitions like I normally do: main ext4 partition as root and a swap partition. I also tried using the guided partitioning setup but got the same result. Either way the system installs fine so I think it has something to do with GRUB. At first I tried choosing the flash drive to install GRUB to but upon booting to it I was prompted with a never ending blinking white cursor. I then tried installing it to my main hard drive, on the master boot record, and it worked. I could boot into my Windows system, my Ubuntu, my Kali Linux, and the Kali 2016 OS on the drive. So, why doesn't it work when I install GRUB to the USB drive? I feel like I've tried everything. Oh, and I'm using a different flash drive (an 8gb one) to install Kali, not the 128gb one I'm trying to install to. The sha1 checksums check out as well, so my download isn't corrupt. Is there a thing I can do? Thanks.
    Last edited by NoahWL1; 2016-02-17 at 14:21. Reason: Correcting typos (autocorrect)