Thread: Hydra on ssh does not work even with the right password in list

Hydra on ssh does not work even with the right password in list

Hi, today I tried hydra in a virtualbox Kali 2 VM. I set up a target (Kali 2 on a Raspi) and started sshd there. Logging in manually worked. Then I created a password list with john the ripper's rules and stripped it a bit with pw-inspect (to pws with at least 8 chars). Now I took one of these passwords and set it for a ssh user on the target machine. Now I tried hydra and strangely it said it didn't find the password. Then I reduced the list to 30 passwords, including the right one. Now it worked.

I checked with stack overflow and someone told me to install all the dependencies for hydra:
    Code:
    libssl-dev libssh-dev libidn11-dev libpcre3-dev libgtk2.0-dev libmysqlclient-dev libpq-dev libsvn-dev firebird2.1-dev libncp-dev libncurses5-dev
    Many of them were missing, but I could install them, except libncp-dev.

My questions:
    • Can someone tell me if I am making a mistake here in terms of usage?
    • If the missing package/lib is indeed a problem, how to I get libncp-dev in Kali 2? Any rep I could add?

Thanks a lot and best regards

What is the command you're using to launch the hydra attack?

I've tried it with a lot of variations, the last one I tried was this one in order to make sure it's not the responsiveness (waiting 60 secs instead of 30):

hydra -l <user> -P passwords_permutated.txt ssh://192.168.1.9:22 -w 60 -t 4 -v

Edit:
    It also seems not to work with a http-post-form scan. With Burp Suite I managed to do a dictionary attack on dvwa without problems, but with hydra it is the same again: no password found even though I know the right one is in the password file. This is my hydra call for it:

hydra -l admin -P passwd.txt -f 192.168.56.102 http-post-form "/dvwa/login.php:username=^USER^&password=^PASS^&Login=Lo gin:Login failed"

Did I do something wrong or is it the same problem as above, that hydra doesn't work in general for me?
    Last edited by Prodigal Sorcerer; 2016-02-18 at 19:07.

Suggest you avoid Hydra and try and find a copy of Burp Suite Pro as the free version is throttled back and slow. Hydra gives too many false positives.

MTeams

Yeah, I did exactly that and moved on to Patator and ultimately Burp. Hydra just doesn't work properly, at least at the moment.