Thread: Kali is Trying to Connect to 8612/UDP in VM

Kali is Trying to Connect to 8612/UDP in VM

I'm running Kali 2016.01 32-bit ISO in a VirtualBox VM with a host only network adapter enabled, and I keep getting block logs in my firewall for inbound connection attempts to 8612/udp on the vboxnet0 (virtual host-only adapter) interface when I am using it. The destination port is always either the same or 8610 . 8610 and 8612 seem to be nominally associated with Canon BJNP printer protocol according to http://www.speedguide.net/port.php?port=8612 .
    I tested other distros to see if they did the same thing and nothing else seems to make any connection attempt to that port.

Could this be a bug where Kali is constantly trying to connect to a Canon printer or something ?
    Thoughts?

It's possible. What services and ports are open in your VM? Are you running anything non-standard in Kali that might be talking over that port?

I start seeing the connection attempts in my physical host's firewall logs as soon as the VM boots into the Kali desktop. I am not running anything non-standard and there are no services / ports running in Kali other than the ordinary.

I've not seen this myself, but I'm probably running a different host-based firewall. I'd report it over at bugs.kali.org

You may want to include output from running netstat/ss as well.