Thread: Everything worked fine so I decided to make a mess - Dual boot - No access to BIOS

Everything worked fine so I decided to make a mess - Dual boot - No access to BIOS

Here is my night.

Win 8 and Kali on dual boot with GRUB worked perfectly.

I decided to change my partition to get some more space for Kali.

I need to live usb boot to do the changes with gparted, I access to my bios (erase on the blue asus screen) I chose boot usb, then the usb boot and I press enter but suddenly freak out cause I was not sure I chose the correct line for live booting. So I decided to turn off the computer ... Smart move isn't it ?

Since then I do not have "the blue asus screen" to get into BIOS and co(and pressing erase on the black screen at the beginning does nothing), I don't have GRUB anymore, it directly starts Kali (and I don't even have the starting lines, at some point it just prompts the kali login).

My google evening leads me to think that I probably overwrited GRUB and then decided to give a try to Boot Repair. I put the ISO on the USB with rufus but it does not boot automatically when I restart the computer and I cannot access to BIOS so ?

I`ve been pretty stupid these last hours, I`m posting this before going to bed hoping I won't make nightmares and having some hopes for tmr morning.

Thank you guys

So here we are now:

I decided to do a clear CMOS with both the jumper and the motherboard battery. After that black screen, did not even start Kali.

However, when I unplugged my graphic card (GTX 600) and plug directly the screen to the motherboard, it worked like before: asus screen, GRUB is back, ect. But it did not recognize my usb keyboard.

I took another of my USB keyboard and now I have a screen "please enter setup to recover BIOS setting f1 to run setup , f2 to load default values and continue.

At this point I`m lost and I do not want to make things worst.

Thank you

IMG_1086.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chinafirst View Post
    Here is my night.

Win 8 and Kali on dual boot with GRUB worked perfectly.

I decided to change my partition to get some more space for Kali.

I need to live usb boot to do the changes with gparted
    next time to do this use Windows and Windows disk management tools or some other free disk partition tools for Windows

now about your problem.
    press F1 and set BIOS (I hope you know how to set)
    set time, boot order, which graphic card will start first, enable usb options...
    and remove those usb stick from the system and start normally
    and see do you have some trouble.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Thank you Sir for your help and your support.

graphic card gtx 660-dc2-2gd5
    motherboard ATK0110 (MB=P7H55)

I did a boot repair : paste.ubuntu.com/15175030

Kali is the first in the boot order and win the last one.

When I don t plug my graphic card, everything works : grub and co. When the graphic card is plug the computer starts with a black screen and then the Kali login. However, I realized that when I spam the down arrow at the starting the screen turns on windows login !
    IMG_1089.jpgIMG_1090.jpg
    This means everything works but for some reason the screen does not display anything before Kali or win login. I thought I got it : Before I used to have two screens , and in my memory one screen was black until the login, so I plugged again the 2nd screen, but I did not change anything.

I reset default BIOS settings, and turn off quick boot. setting time and boot order is easy, however I m not sure for the graphic card starting first, I have to look more for it.

edit: I was able to change to PEG/PCI in the bios but it did not change, still back screen until boot kali or win

FINAL EDIT: Finally it works when I plug my screen to the DVI D (before it was on DVH). So I guess I will just buy a VGA to DVI D adaptator
    Gracias
    Last edited by chinafirst; 2016-02-24 at 02:07.