Thread: REAVER - 3 simultaneous problems - still after 24 hours of research

REAVER - 3 simultaneous problems - still after 24 hours of research

Hello Guys (and Girls),

Admittedly I am new to Kali and Reaver, but in the past I have been able to crack all IT problems and challenges, but this time I have to pass.

Introduction

Am using a Samsung ATIV Book 9 NP940X5J-K01US with Intel Core i5-4200 CPU @ 1.6GHz 2.3GHz with 8GB RAM and Windows 10 Home with 64-bit. My Wireless Card is an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 with driver 18.11.0.8 (in Windows).

I have downloaded Kali in its full 64-bit version (2016,1) from here: https://www.kali.org/downloads/ via torrent and checked the checksum.

I am mounting Kali via a bootable USB, not vial Virtual Machine. Thereafter I run apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade. From time to time I have also tried to add the additional bits and pieces found here: https://evilzone.org/high-quality-tutorials/wireless-auditing-with-kali-linux-aircrack-ng-reaver-and-pixiewps/ being reaver-wps-fork-t6x-master and pixiewps-master.

I have not tweaked my own MAC address, as it does not appear to be mission critical.

In the beginning I do
    airmon-ng
    and
    airmon-ng start wlan0

Then I kill the three disturbing services one by one and run
    airmon-ng start wlan0
    to ensure that the monitor mode is enabled.

So far, so good.

Now I have to mention my three problems and the other things that do work.
    Working:
    airodump-ng wlan0mon --wps
    returning expected result.

Not working:

Problem 1:
    wash -i wlan0mon
    returning all the expected results but *all* RSSI values are 00.

Problem 2:
    aireplay-ng -1 0 -a (MAC) wlan0mon
    returning repeated reply (and nothing else): Sending Authentication Request (Open System)
    if I do a
    ipconfig wlan0mon up
    it is returning: Waiting for beacon frame (BSSID MAC) on channel 3 - the channel is correct as previously set by me
    and if I do another
    ipconfig wlan0mon down
    it is returning (again) repeated reply (and nothing else): Sending Authentication Request (Open System)

Problem 3:
    reaver -i wlan0mon -c6* -b (MAC) -K 1 - vv
    *The channel number is set by me as established in wash or in airodump-ng
    Returning:
    - Switching wlan0mon to channel 6
    - Waiting for beacon from (MAC)
    At a few rare occasions is has returned:
    - Switching wlan0mon to channel 6
    - Waiting for beacon from (MAC)
    - Associated with (MAC) (ESSID: XXX)
    - Trying PIN 12345670
    - Sending EAPOL START request
    - WARNING: Receive timeout occurred
    - etc.......

Obviously I have tried to add other factors like -d5 -S -N and rarely also -E and -W...but no luck.

My suspicion is that my three above problems are interdependent and/or interrelated. I have extensively searched all data bases and forums - with no luck. I know that everyone is busy with their own stuff, but if anyone can help me out here, I am quite happy to pay for a couple beers.

Thank you! Merci! Tack! Tak! Danke! Dankie! Grazie! Gracias! Koszonom! Multumesc! Spassiva! Salamat Po! Shukran! Asante sana! Arigato! XieXie! Gam-sam ni-da!

Franco

try maybe "ifconfig" and not "ipconfig" .then try aireplay-ng -9 wlan0mon.the answer should be "injection working". if you get the "no Answer" then you should buy an external usb wireless card. i find it difficult that your internal wifi can inject.

Agree with bob79 on this one. From what I've seen, built-in wireless devices don't properly support monitor mode and/or packet injection. The link below describes several compatible wireless cards.

https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...Wireless-Cards

Guys(Girls), thanks a lot for your postings. I am so impressed by the professional spirit of this community.
    Allow me to work on your suggested solution and report back here once I have something meaningful feed-back.
    Cheers!

bob79 and grid: thanks for your answers. Of course it should be ifconfig raher than ipconfig....apologies for that.
    Having tried what you suggested, I do get 'No answer'....hence I will be purchasing an external wireless card as you suggested. Thanks for sending me the link.

Allow me however to post a new observation here (even at the risk that it is not under the right heading):
    As mentioned above, I am mounting Kali via a bootable USB, not via Virtual Machine. (By the way, should I opt for CSM or UEFI OS?) Thereafter I run apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade. That is quite a long and extensive process.

Problem 1: I am getting E:Write error - write (28: No space left on device), E:IO Error saving source cahce, E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
    E: dpkg was interrupted, you must manually run 'dpkg --configure -a' to correct the problem. If I do, I get a similar error message plus
    Setting up theharvester (2.6-0kali1) ...
    dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
    unable to run flush /var/lib/dpkg/updates/tmp.i ater padding: No space left on device
    Why does this happen? Why does Kali not take as much disk space as it needs (I have some 50GB free)?? How can this be actioned?

Problem 2:
    Given how long it takes to start Kali Linux and then to run apt-get update and apt-get dist-upgrade, how can I save this KALI LINUX set-up / hibernate / switch off my laptop wthout having to re-run everything again when I re-start (thus saving myself half an hour)?

Thank you so much!

I would suggest either a hard drive install, or atleast USB-Persistence.
    http://docs.kali.org/downloading/kal...sb-persistence

Hello aanarchyy,
    Thanks for putting forward your idea. I assume this would address both 'Problem 1' and 'Problem 2' described in my post above yours. Would you mind confirming that?
    Also, would you know whether I need to choose CSM or UEFI (or there is also an option for both) in the BIOS when booting up Kali Linux from a USB stick?
    Cheers!

just follow aanarchyy's link and you will be fine. if you're on windows, use this: http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/how...ional-0162253/ . one more concern.. as you said in your previous comment "I am getting E:Write error - write (28: No space left on device)" just DON'T use a 2 GB usb. read carefully the null-byte steps. happy hunting

I apologize in advance for jumping into the middle of a discussion if it is inappropriate.....but i am having the same problem that MrVeryVeryGreen is having as far as the RSSI =00 on all the AP'S i scan when running Wash.....

I have Kali Linux installed on a laptop by itself with the wireless card removed that came with the laptop......

I have both the Alfa AWUS036NHA and the Alfa AWUS036NH wireless cards.....I am also using a 2.4GHz 24dBi Grid Parabolic Antenna.....

I have searched for a solution but have been unable to find anything until i read this thread.....I am hoping someone can provide an answer......

Quote Originally Posted by Dedossss View Post
    I apologize in advance for jumping into the middle of a discussion if it is inappropriate.....but i am having the same problem that MrVeryVeryGreen is having as far as the RSSI =00 on all the AP'S i scan when running Wash.....

I have Kali Linux installed on a laptop by itself with the wireless card removed that came with the laptop......

I have both the Alfa AWUS036NHA and the Alfa AWUS036NH wireless cards.....I am also using a 2.4GHz 24dBi Grid Parabolic Antenna.....

I have searched for a solution but have been unable to find anything until i read this thread.....I am hoping someone can provide an answer......
    not sure if it helps.. but give it a try : https://forums.kali.org/archive/index.php/t-89.html

Quote Originally Posted by Dedossss View Post

That is a chipset problem as far as i can tell. And as far as i know there is no work-around.
    Some of mine do the same thing( which is one of the many reasons i chose to stop using
    most of the reaver project).
    Perhaps try airodump-ng --wps , not only does that actually give you a signal strength, but a LIVE signal strength...
    Last edited by aanarchyy; 2016-03-03 at 03:53.

I checked out that thread.....but it discusses a freezing issue with Wash.....I saw no mention of RSSI=00 problem......

i agree 99% with aanarchyy here. but there was the 1% of good faith so i sent you to that thread. so try the update and reinstall reaver along with deleting old wash and move the new one, as that thread shows. if that doesn't work.. you might wanna search another dongle on a different chipset. happy hunting

I will give it a shot.....Thank you both for the help.....