Thread: Will not associate when AP is 802.11n only

Will not associate when AP is 802.11n only

Hey guys, back with a little update to my previous thread.

First, a little bit about the AP:
    Hitron CGN3ACSMR
    Set to broadcast 2.4GHz 802.11n only
    No mac filtering

And my setup:
    Qualcomm atheros AR9285 chipset (ath9x driver)
    Kali Linux 2016 installed on HDD (I also have 1.0.7 and 1.1.0a on persistent pen drives - everything has been tested on all 3)

When I attempt to associate with the network, association is denied due to (Code 27) which I believe is a reserved code.

If I switch the AP to broadcast:
    - 802.11 b only
    - 802.11 b/g
    - 802.11 b/g/n
    - 802.11 g only
    - 802.11 g/n

It will associate no problem!! It never works if the network is 802.11n only.

So, I did some research and there seemed to be a lot of people having connection issues with 802.11n with the ath9k driver. I decided to get a new USB card that would use a different driver.

Test 2:
    Ralink RT5370 chipset (using rt2800usb driver)

Exact same results! This leads me to believe it isn't a driver problem. I'm completely at a loss and have no idea what else to try. I've tried multiple cards, and different versions of Kali.

Additionally, if it matters, Reaver & Bully are also both unsuccessful at associating with the AP if it is in 802.11n only, but will associate fine at any other setting.

There must be a way to associate to 802.11n only!

Hi there
    I just stumbled upon this Thread because I was searching for the same issue. I set my AP to 2.4GHz N-only HT40 wide because this is the only way I get speeds above 2Mbit/s from my EW-7811Un (Raspberry PI). On the other side I was not able to connect another client to this AP which gave error messages like "cannot asscociate error 27, ht capabilities wmm". I just begin to wonder about this "WMM" and viola as soon as I enabled "WMM" in the wireless settings of my AP I can connect the client. So check your AP if you have disabled WMM.