Thread: kali 2016.1 rolling cant restart or shutdown after freash install on hp probook 4540s

kali 2016.1 rolling cant restart or shutdown after freash install on hp probook 4540s

when i try to restart or reboot my pc freezes (black screen)

i had kali 2.0 sana on my hp probook 4540s and it worked fine everything was good, i saw the kali rolling 2016.1 has came out and i downloaded it from
    kali's official site 64x bit version. made a bootble flash and installed kali, but when i gone in kali live to use gparted to delete the old kali it went as usual and then when i tried to reboot, my pc just froze up and i had to press the power button to shut it down manualy.... so i was thinking lol it was a bug and i go ahead and install the kali rolling 2016.1 and it was normal install but when i try to reboot or shutdown my pc freezes... (black screen)
    i saw some forum links about trying to change one line of code in the /etc/default/grub : "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet" quiet to "reboot=bios quiet" and i tryed instead of bios acpi and pci it did not fix my problem
    Last edited by Necony286; 2016-02-28 at 19:46.

anyone have any ideas to why this is happening??

Do you have a toshiba laptop?
    I ask so because i have the same problem with my "beloved" satellite-.
    with Kali, debian, ubuntu...
    If i use "CSM mode" poweroff and reboot doesn't properly wotk, poweroff is on a hag and restart is more like a freeze.
    the ACPI seems to be the problem and i tried several stuff in etc/defaut/grub like you but without sucess.
    The thing is that reboot and poweroff works properly in UEFI mode (with safe boot disabled, with safe boot i can't start any OS due to "invalid digital firm"
    In stronlgy suspect the BIOS-EFI as problems came after a bios update.
    I have been looking around on the web for a cople of monthes about this issue and didn't get anywhere...
    I realy would like to fix this too... i realy hate to hae to do a hard reset or poweroff to shut down my machine.
    take care

hi all!
    I have got the same problem when i install Kali Rolling.
    I find many way to fix this problem, but I never have successed. hihi, like you!
    I always power off my laptop with log out your account. When you're in log in screen, you try to power off it again.
    Im installing Kali Rolling on Lenovo Thinkpad T400.
    Good luck to you!!!

I always power off my laptop with log out your account. When you're in log in screen, you try to power off it again.
    Thank you!
    i will try to see if that work,..
    Your comment is very interesting as another stuff that came to my mind is an issue with x-server... If I "poweroff" the system I can feel that everythig goes right but the OS seems to fail in the ñlast moment and does not stop graphical display properly.
    When i do the hard poweroff it shuts down very fast and i don't hear the noise that it makes when i do a hard poweroff because the system is frozen.
    It seems that something goes wrong just with shutting down the graphical server,,,
    thanks again

this seems to work for me... though its a bit ..fishy D

but its a easy workaround...thanks!

Hi all, i have the same problem (HP-ProBook-4540s) i can't reboot and shutdown cause if i try it my pc freeze. I can't shutdown (reboot) my pc or with logout and after shutdown/reboot or in gnome-tweak-tool i use power-off button for hibernate my pc! Someone know how i can resolve this problem? Sorry for my bad english!

Omgggggggg thankss dude,