Thread: Kali 2.0 image for Raspberry Pi3

Kali 2.0 image for Raspberry Pi3

Hi guys,

Is there news on a image for the Pi3?
    Did one of you got the opportunity to run the current pi2 image on a pi3, does it work ok with its build in wifi and bluetooth?

Quote Originally Posted by ghodan View Post
    Hi guys,

Did one of you got the opportunity to run the current pi2 image on a pi3, does it work ok with its build in wifi and bluetooth?
    I've only just ordered the RPi3, so cannot comment on the existing RPi2 build.

The RPi3 will need a new build script creating here

The existing RPi2 build script is here

I would like to try a 64bit build as the Cortex A53 CPU is 64bit. with 1GB RAM, is it even worth it?

Will report back when I have received RPi3. 50% faster cpu looks promising.

There will be an image for it.
    May take a few weeks.
    The device only got released < 24 hours ago....
    This is a Kali-Linux support forum - not general IT/infosec help.

Useful Commands: OS, Networking, Hardware, Wi-Fi
    Troubleshooting: Kali-Linux Installation, Repository, Wi-Fi Cards (Official Docs)
    Hardware: Recommended 802.11 Wireless Cards

Documentation: http://docs.kali.org/ (Offline PDF version)
    Bugs Reporting & Tool Requests: https://bugs.kali.org/
    Kali Tool List, Versions & Man Pages: https://tools.kali.org/

i am also waiting for it

Hi guys,

Surprisingly Microcenter had Pi 3s in stock this morning and I managed to pick one up. I haven't spent much time with it but trying to boot it from the Pi2 image failed. The display stayed on the bootloader rainbow and the green led flashed periodically. I'll try to debug it a little further, but it seems like out of the box raspbian is about the only thing I can get to boot on the Pi3.

Ubuntu Mate has a new release for the Pi3, you just have to install anything you need on your own

Quote Originally Posted by bearda View Post
    Surprisingly Microcenter had Pi 3s in stock this morning and I managed to pick one up. I haven't spent much time with it but trying to boot it from the Pi2 image failed. The display stayed on the bootloader rainbow and the green led flashed periodically. I'll try to debug it a little further, but it seems like out of the box raspbian is about the only thing I can get to boot on the Pi3.
    I have mine for 3 days now. Kali boots to rainbow. But if you replace outdated files with the new ones found here https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmw...ee/master/boot you'll be able to boot it up. I just can't manage to login because mouse and keyboard aren't properly detected. If you got SSH configured already, you might well be able to fix it.

Regards

Confirmed, sebottendorf's suggestion worked a treat. My Pi2 image is configured to load a menu system on the 3.5" TFT (as per sticky fingers kali pi) but without the TFT it crashes out to the command prompt as there is no fb1 to output the menu to.
    I am able to use KB and logged in fine but when I hit startx it loaded the GUI but the KB and mouse did not function.
    Might be that it crashes when loading x and so the KB and mouse become frozen. Possibly when it sees the BT and wifi.... but I'm guessing.

Anyway from the prompt all seems well.

Quote Originally Posted by sebottendorf View Post
    I have mine for 3 days now. Kali boots to rainbow. But if you replace outdated files with the new ones found here https://github.com/raspberrypi/firmw...ee/master/boot you'll be able to boot it up. I just can't manage to login because mouse and keyboard aren't properly detected. If you got SSH configured already, you might well be able to fix it.

Regards
    I managed to boot and RUN kali linux pi 2 image on pi 3!!! Keyboard, mouse working ( I have replaced some files in the ext 4 partition of kali, with updated pi 3 files). But I am unable to get wifi or lan. Any ideas?

I'll wait for the Pi 3 image from OS team, better to have support and almost troubleshootingfree software for this kind of setups...

Keep up the good work guys , can't wait to get an ISO for Pi 3 !

Quote Originally Posted by g0tmi1k View Post
    There will be an image for it.
    May take a few weeks.
    The device only got released < 24 hours ago....
    how much more time you guys need ?
    can you release it at the end of this month ?

Quote Originally Posted by VR6CER View Post
    I managed to boot and RUN kali linux pi 2 image on pi 3!!! Keyboard, mouse working ( I have replaced some files in the ext 4 partition of kali, with updated pi 3 files). But I am unable to get wifi or lan. Any ideas?
    please explain what exactly you did
    i want to try that
    PS
    by wifi you mean internal wifi right ?
    external adapter is working if we connect it with USB port... right ?

Hi guys. This is my first post here. Thanks for all the hard work and useful information you've made available. I registered just to reply to this thread. It is possible to install Kali on RPi3 without any in-depth workarounds.

1. Download and configure/install Berryboot on your Pi (it's easy and the information is just a Google away)
    2. Select Kali 2 Light from the install menu in Berryboot.
    3. Update your repos and use apt-get to install the meta packages you desire.

From what I understand, Kali light can be updated to full blown Kali, although I have read the the light version is less stressful on your Pi's limited RAM due to the use of XFCE4 (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Anyway, I'm running Kali on my Pi 3 with all tools installed, mouse and KB working as soon as I plugged them in, on board wifi working no problems whatsoever, AWUS036NHA working as soon as I plugged it in, mounted 64GB external memory, and no real problems to speak of. Best of all, I'm having fun exploring and learning!

Good luck and have fun! Berryboot is the way to go. Google it!

Nice one bud! I will give it a go tonight

kali linux is now available for rpi3

Link

Hope I am not being thick here.. Installed rpi3 and without any problems. wifi great, had to add a config.txt file to the first partition to rotate the 7" touchscreen, but it works and touch works too.

OK here is the duh question. In the applications menu I have no Kali tools? Do I have to download these?

Yes you do @forensic. http://tools.kali.org/kali-metapackages would be of help to you (or just visit http://tools.kali.org )

Dit anyone get the internal bluetooth working?

Quote Originally Posted by breal View Post
    Dit anyone get the internal bluetooth working?
    I am waiting for the same thing. It would be much easier for me to operate if I could utilize my bluetooth mouse and keyboard combo that I have.

Less wires to deal with and less USB ports taken up. as of right now, the only wires I have is the usb cable going to the power bank, and the hdmi going to my display, plus keyboard and mouse...

Quote Originally Posted by keks2 View Post
    kali linux is now available for rpi3

Link
    The image loads and seems to work on Rpi 3. But when I run airmon-ng it cannot identify the driver of the internal WiFI.
    I get the output:
    Code:
    PHY	Interface	Driver		Chipset
    phy0	wlan0		??????		Broadcom 43430
    Not sure if this is an issue with the image or with airmon-ng. The wifi shows up on ifconfig and can be used to ordinary access to networks.

Quote Originally Posted by LostInSpace View Post
    The image loads and seems to work on Rpi 3. But when I run airmon-ng it cannot identify the driver of the internal WiFI.
    I get the output:
    Code:
    PHY	Interface	Driver		Chipset
    phy0	wlan0		??????		Broadcom 43430
    Not sure if this is an issue with the image or with airmon-ng. The wifi shows up on ifconfig and can be used to ordinary access to networks.
    The Pi 3 wifi chip doesn't currently support monitor mode.
    http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com...t-monitor-mode

The internal wifi is garbage. Broadcom chips in general are garbage. The driver isn't supported currently, unless someone figures out a way to make monitor mode work with it.

almost there on my pi3

Hi guys,

So i was able to get kali 2.0.1 running GREAT on my rpi3. Its not 100% right now but so far i have been able to pen test my router with a TP LINK atheros usb adapter. the internal wifi does not have monitor activated in the driver package.

i have been unsuccessful in getting the bluetooth to be recognized.

It might have something to do with my using a logitech mouse and keyboard, but probably not...

i am using berryboot with the kali 2.0.1 image 4.1.19v7. im thinking about sticking the new 2016 iso in my img dir to see if i can boot into the rolling edition to test issues... I recently installed that version without berryboot and terminal sessions were painful and didn't work... I seem to have that problem with the bluetooth... and hciconfig... hciconfig is not working at all on my rpi3

The internal bluetooth may require some additional setup that I'm not (yet) aware of; Have any of you compared what raspbian does to what we are doing (we aren't doing anything special, the drivers are there, and the firmware should be there as well...)

nice to be able to boot the new kali-image on rpi3!
    thanks to everybody who made this!!!
    failing boot the tft-image makes me guess that this is not a rpi3 image, is it?
    can i do anything to make it bootable on rpi3?
    or will there even be a new image in the future?
    and will there probably the wonderful onboard-keyboard come with it.
    you're right, i can hardly wait for it. so i tried to do this with a waveshare 3.2 raspbian image,
    nstalled xfce4, because lxde didnt work for me with such a tiny screen and got the kali tools via katoolin.
    most things works fine, but i can't get totally rid of lxde and could not manage to get on-board keyboard running,
    wich would honestly be my favourite keyboard for such a kali tft image..
    do you think, that there would come a new rpi3tft-image?

It would be great, thanks for your good work.

Quote Originally Posted by rtng View Post
    nice to be able to boot the new kali-image on rpi3!
    thanks to everybody who made this!!!
    failing boot the tft-image makes me guess that this is not a rpi3 image, is it?
    can i do anything to make it bootable on rpi3?
    Hi rtng,

I have updated the kernel package for the Adafruit PiTFT (supports all sizes on Pi2 & Pi3 running Kali). If you have one of those screens you can use the "Sticky Finger's Kali-Pi" guide to install it:

http://www.whitedome.com.au/kali-pi

I hope that helps,
    Re4son

@re4son

wow, that post gets me enthousiastic
    hopefully i could manage and switch the firmware-kernel image from adafruit3.5 to waveshare 3.2 in step 3 (Install the PiTFT screen) of that tutorial.
    for my raspbian-image i needed to load this:

cd /tmp
    wget http://www.joy-it.net/anleitungen/rp...2b-overlay.dtb
    sudo cp waveshare32b-overlay.dtb /boot/overlays/

hmm ,maybe i just try the adfruit-software first i guess this screens are quite similar..

but i guess there is hope. that tut. is an amazing piece of art/work! love it..
    thanx for prmpt answer!
    Last edited by rtng; 2016-04-28 at 14:03.

hey @re4son,
    well on your blogpost-page you asked me if n0b0bdy's solution for the waveshare 3.2 tft worked for me.
    and yes finally his way worked. i think this step he was missing before (10.5) is important to do after mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /boot...
    i found out that after doing steps in n0body's way the file xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf disappeard i regenerated it paste the text to it again and booting into desktop failed.
    after deleting the text again (not the file) it booted into desktop again. well i was thinking that there might be the chance to boot into desktop via HDMI again if Option “fbdev” “/dev/fb1” wold be changed into Option “fbdev” “/dev/fb0” but it didn't. maybe there would be a chance to switch between PITFT and HDMI??? I'll try.
    But to get the essence of my answer: yes you actually can make a kernel for the waveshare. and to be honest i can hardly wait for that.
    Thanks both of You so much - from this day on i 'll call both of you "Grandmaster Flash(card)"
    By the way i couldnt answer to your blog any longer (maintainance...)
    For everybody in trouble with rpi3 + kali + waveshare3.2 look@ the comments of n0b0dy on http://whitedome.com.au/re4son/stick...i-pi/#comments
    You are great guys!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rtng View Post
    hey @re4son,
    But to get the essence of my answer: yes you actually can make a kernel for the waveshare. and to be honest i can hardly wait for that.
    Hi rtng,

thanks for your kind words.
    I'm glad that it worked out for you and I've got some great news :

New kernel released for Raspberry Pi with wifi injection patch and support for all common TFT screens:

http://whitedome.com.au/download/Kali-Pi-Kernels/re4son_kali-pi-tft_kernel_current.tar.gz

I am no longer using the Adafruit repo for my builds but moved to my own, updated it, fixed some bugs and added some features:

– kernel 4.1.21
    - no more DMA errors
    – lightning fast
    – kali-pi boot logo
    – support for TFT displays by Adafruit, Elecfreaks, Sainsmart, Waveshare, etc.
    – as always, it comes with wifi injection patch

The kernel source can be found here:
    https://github.com/Re4son/re4son-ras...i-4.1.y-re4son

I am currently working on a Universal TFT Helper, based on Adafruit's PiTFT Helper, which will help with the configuration. You can run it already but the /boot/config.txt needs some attention afterwards if you don't use an Adafruit screen.

More info in the Sticky Finger's Kali-Pi Blog:
    http://whitedome.com.au/kali-pi

Have fun with it,
    Re4son
    Last edited by re4son; 2016-05-08 at 22:28. Reason: 4.1.21 for all common TFT screens