Thread: Kali linux usb networking problems (TP-Link WN722N)

Kali linux usb networking problems (TP-Link WN722N)

I have recently gotten a TP-Link WN722N usb dongle to be used in kali linux. I have verified that the dongle is compatable with Kali linux (and backtrack which i previously tried). The OS is running in VMware with no problems besides this. I have also checked to see if the dongle is not mounted to Kali linux, but a quick lsusb in the console showed that the dongle was connected to Kali linux in the VM. The problem is that Kali is only recognizing it in lsusb, if i try to list the networks it only shows eth0, if I run airmon-ng (which is a wireless only command) no adapter is displayed. If anyone knows how to make the dongle show up in the wireless interface i could really use the help. Here is a screenshot of the commands that i mentioned 1449596977-50.194.246.209.jpg or the link http://i.stack.imgur.com/VQWUA.jpg

Solutions that I have tried: I have tried using updated htc firmware and several different drivers which I did not write down, however I had to rely on my own resourcefulness to find these drivers and links so the ones i found might not have been the correct ones to use; because of that I am open to any help including drivers whether you can provide a link or not (I atleast need a name and version number).

Kali Linux Ver. = Kali-Linux-2016.1-vm-amd64
    Gnome Ver. = 3.18.2
    Installation type = Virtual Machine {2gb ram}

If any screenshots or other information is required just ask and I will post it as soon as I can.
    Thanks for all the help, Reid

run
    airmon-ng check kill
    before using
    airmon-ng monitor mode
    ################################################

|
    /vvvvvvvvvvvv \-------------------------------------------------------------------------,,
    |^^^^^^^^ /===================================--""

----------The quieter you become,The more you will able to hear-----------
    Venkatesh L Sharma https://twitter.com/1337in

|
    /vvvvvvvvvvvv \-------------------------------------------------------------------------,,
    |^^^^^^^^ /===================================--""

----------The quieter you become,The more you will able to hear-----------
    Venkatesh L Sharma https://twitter.com/1337in

Here is the dmsg, I do not see any errors when the device is recognized. I see that you have Skype, any chance that i can screen share with you. I tried the "airmon-ng check kill" and got nowhere.