Thread: New Kali user, several problems with apt-get

New Kali user, several problems with apt-get

Hey all,

(i'd be glad to post any and all info required by more knowledgeable users, just ask and i will get it for you)

i apologize if this has been covered somewhere before, ill gladly accept a link to the appropriate thread, but i have some issues i am at my wits end with:

1: phy0: no 5ghz supported. i am dual booted on my late 2011 macbook pro. 5ghz works fine on OSX, but when i switch over to Kali, i can only connect to 2.4ghz. not sure how to make that work. that part is only for my own use. prefer the faster wifi, ya know? 2.4ghz is fine for all my aircrack needs.

2: unmet dependencies. try as i might, i cannot get the dependencies for xchat. when i try apt-get build-dep xchat, i am warned that i have held broken packages. when i try apt-get clean, i get error that it can't be unlinked and that clean is a directory. should be noted that i have apt-fast installed, not sure if that has anything to do with it. i have changed my sources.list to the most recent versions (kali rolling) and retired sana, although i did try with both. i have done a full apt-get update, upgrade, dist-upgrade. i've tried apt-get install -f, which will remove some unused or redundant packages, but still leaves 52 not upgraded, not sure if my broken held xchat package is one of those. the error i receive is

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
    xchat : Depends: libperl5.20 (>= 5.20.1) but it is not going to be installed
    E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages

any help with these issues would be greatly appreciated. i am a new linux convert and i love it so far, but my proficiency with terminal is novice at best. thanks in advance!

-jeremy

I just tried an apt-get install xchat, and it doesn't seem to be in the Kali repos. Have you changed your /etc/apt/sources.list file?

thank you for the reply!

i have not. after further research it appears xchat is no longer being tested or supported, and has been removed. would explain the headache i had trying to get it downloaded. it does not, however, explain why apt-get clean won't function. apt-get autoclean will work.