Thread: Windows 10 Ignores Kali Live USB Drive

Windows 10 Ignores Kali Live USB Drive

Hello,
    I am trying to install Kali(2016.1) onto my old Gateway laptop(i3 4th gen, 4gb RAM) from a USB drive. However, it will not boot from the drive. It allows me to select it in the UEFI menu, and to select boot from external device, but it will not work. I have tried both 32 and 64 bit systems, both with no success. I disabled secure boot, and have tried this dozens of times, but still nothing. When the laptop boots, it allows me to select to boot from the usb drive, but then it turns into a black screen for about five minutes and lands me into the windows lock screen.

My laptop keeps updating, about every 4 times I try the install. This has never happened before, and I don't understand why it would be happening now. I used Win32 Disk Imager, and it worked before when I used it to image my Raspberry pi.

I'm tearing my hair out over this problem, and can't seem to see an end in sight. I'd appreciate any help I can get on this.

Thanks.

first totally disable uefi boot and use only legacy bios.
    second disable secure boot (you did it) also disable fast start up in Windows.
    once again download kali iso and check sha1sum before making usb
    use only Win32 Disk Imager to make bootable usb, and then try
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

I disabled fast start up already, forgot to mention that. How would I use Sha1sum on my windows PC? I have Kali(64 bit) already burned to a flash drive, could I still use that? Imaging times on my laptop run excessive of 3 hours in result of my slow wifi. I'll give this a try as soon as I get home. Thanks for the fast reply.

Got it to work, really appreciate your advice.
    Thanks for your help.