Thread: Problem w/ Alfa AWUSH036H (virtualbox)

Problem w/ Alfa AWUSH036H (virtualbox)

Hi guys,

I have problems with the Alfa Wifi Adapter AWUSH036H, I cant make it work in Kali (virtualbox)

Kali recognize it, but I can't make it work with wifite, airodump, etc. Just doesn't scan the networks.

Works fine in Windows and in Kali Live, so I dont think it's a usb/power issue.

Any one can help me?

Thanks

Are you referring to the silver Alfa AWUS036H? If so, is it going into monitor mode ok?

Yes that one.

That's the problem, when I iwconfig I can see the adapter but when I try to airmon-ng start wlan0 take too much time and when I made airodump-ng scan nothing.

But I see Virtualbox usb icon get red when I try to change the adapter to monito mode.

Nothing of this happen if I run Kali stand alone.

I'm on VirtualBox 5.0.14, and haven't seen this problem with my Alfa. But to be honest, I rarely have a need to use a wireless card inside a VM.

Quote Originally Posted by boba.fett View Post
    Yes that one.

That's the problem, when I iwconfig I can see the adapter but when I try to airmon-ng start wlan0 take too much time and when I made airodump-ng scan nothing.

But I see Virtualbox usb icon get red when I try to change the adapter to monito mode.

Nothing of this happen if I run Kali stand alone.
    I have a similar model, and I have been going through the troubleshooting steps the last few days. Forgive me if this seems redundant, but would you answer the following?

• What is the host OS? Is it Linux? If so, have you added your user to the VBOXUSERS group?
      What filter do you have for the USB settings? USB 2.0/3.0? What cable are you using, could you try another?
      What exact commands do you use to initialize the card? (e.g.: ifconfig wlan0 down, iwconfig wlan0 mode mon, etc.)
      Have you experienced any warnings when running airodump-ng?? Try running "airodump-ng check kill"

Hopefully something mentioned above helps out.

Thanks for the recommendation.

What is the host OS? Is it Linux? If so, have you added your user to the VBOXUSERS group?

My Host is Windows 10 64bit and my guest is Kali Roliing 64bit

What filter do you have for the USB settings? USB 2.0/3.0? What cable are you using, could you try another?
    The filter is 2.0 USB and I'm using the original Alpha cable.

What exact commands do you use to initialize the card? (e.g.: ifconfig wlan0 down, iwconfig wlan0 mode mon, etc.)
    airmon-ng start wlan0 ussualy, and sometimes scripts like wifite

Have you experienced any warnings when running airodump-ng?? Try running "airodump-ng check kill"
    No, when I start airmin-ng start wlan0 I get the wlan0mon, but when I tru airodum-ng wlan0mon, the process start but nothing shows in the result.

The same happens with tha alpha pendrive style adapter. (don remember the name sorry)

Thank you.

When I use iwconfig I get this info:

Code:
    wlan0     IEEE 802.11bg  ESSID:off/any  
              Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=0 dBm   
              Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:on
    Another curious thing, When the Alfa it's used on Windows the green led turn on, when it's on virtualbox it's not and the Virtualbox USB icon it's red mayor of time.
    Last edited by boba.fett; 2016-03-11 at 23:25.

Quote Originally Posted by boba.fett View Post

My Host is Windows 10 64bit and my guest is Kali Roliing 64bit
    Have you checked your driver? See step 6.

Quote Originally Posted by ohnoitsbroken View Post
    Have you checked your driver? See step 6.
    I already have the driver but I'm going to uninstall it and proceed with the tutorial, I'll be back XD

Ok, I made the driver instalation, work perfect with the host machine (Win10) on Kali it's recognize but it's not capable to scan, sometimes doest it but then stop, and when Scan I think it's not working properly on mon mode. I;m going to test it on a live usb version of Kali Rolling

Ok, I tested the alfa adapter on a kali live usb and works perfect, so the problem it's VirtualBox in Windows.

Any chance you can still help me with this? Any other recommendation?

Thanks

Sorry man, I'm more experienced with Virtualbox from the linux perspective, but I would check to make sure it is up to date and check your VirtualBox Extension Pack

Failing all else, you could try to uninstall/reinstall but I might check to make sure your USB filters are correct too.

Thanks for the help, I apreciate it. I'm going to try it on a 32B Kali ver. I'm using the 64b and I read in another forum that can be the problem. Some libcap issue.

Well, nothing happens, the same in a 32b Kali vers. If any one find a way let me know please. Thanks.

This help?

Code:
    [   84.593822] rtl8187: Customer ID is 0xFF
    [   84.605415] rtl8187: wireless switch is on
    [   84.609088] usbcore: registered new interface driver rtl8187
    [   84.675105] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [   99.474489] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [   99.607853] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [  118.668605] device wlan0mon entered promiscuous mode
    [  151.531673] IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    [  171.289653] device wlan0mon entered promiscuous mode
    [  200.354906] device wlan0mon entered promiscuous mode

Hello there, i experience exactly the same thing , couldnt find a solution ! Did you happen to resolve this ?
    Last edited by heraklez; 2016-10-16 at 20:56.