Thread: Multiboot of Kali alongside Win7, Win10, Ubuntu and CentOS in UEFI mode

Multiboot of Kali alongside Win7, Win10, Ubuntu and CentOS in UEFI mode

Hi guys,

I try to get my new System running and itś my first setup with this freaky configuration which means multiboot in uefi mode...so please be gentle

My goal is this:

• Ubuntu 14.04.4 => sdax
    • kali rolling => sdax
    • centos or any other test linux, this comes up later and is unimportant at the moment => sdax
    • windows 7 => sdbx
    • windows 10 => sdcx

and that all has to happen in UEFI mode and in 64bit please.

What have I already done after reading and playin around:

I already had a running Win7 (UEFI Mode) on my 1TB SSD(sdb). Then i got two HDDs,one comes up with 1,5TB(sda) and the other one with 2TB(sdc).
    My sdb looks like /dev/sdb1 efi 104MB (came up with installation)
    /dev/sdb2 134MB (came up with installation, dont know about its role)
    /dev/sdb3 ntfs 1023969MB (manually for Win7 / and /home )

So well, i decided to install an Ubuntu 14.04.4 (UEFI) on the sda alongside my existent Win7 on sdb
    I partitioned the volume sda to /dev/sda1 efi 536MB (came up with installation)
    /dev/sda6 ext4 109763MB (manually for ubuntu / )
    /dev/sda2 ext4 110999MB (manually for kali / )
    /dev/sda3 109999MB (manually for centos eg. / ) this one is shown as unknown used space but thatś not important for the moment i think.
    /dev/sda4 swap 16000MB (manually for swap used by all three linux OS)
    /dev/sda5 ext4 1152999MB (manually for /home used by all three linux OS)
    that worked well for me and Mr GRUB.

Next step i tried to setup kali rolling release on the sda2 too. But I had to recognize that this isn´t done as quick as i thought because it seems that kali cant be installed in UEFI Mode as easy as the last two OS, it didn´t even started from my live dvd when i booted it in UEFI Mode.
    I decided to wait and so i installed Win10 on sdc and i learned my first lesson: when you read about important chronically installation orders, it is not just a "design-thing" .
    Now i had the Win BootManager and the option to choose between Win7 or Win10, Ubuntu seemed to be lost (at least it wasn´t anymore listed in the actual Boot-Menu).
    At least i installed Win7 before Win10 because, as most of you may know it is strictly recommended to install older OS first, then the newer ones. As i read instead Win7 could overwrite some Data that is needed to start Win10, is that right?

My sdc looks like /dev/sdc1 16MB (dont know where it came from or what it does...)
    /dev/sdc2 ntfs 951806MB (manually for the Win10 / )
    /dev/sdc3 ntfs 1048573MB (manually for the Win10 /home )

So now I had Win7, Win10 running on my machine...I installed Ubuntu again on the same partition and it worked, from now after starting my pc i was shown the GRUB menu and i had the choice between ubuntu, setup(uefi-bios), recovery and Windows Boot Manager. At the last point i was able to choose between my Win7 and my Win10, looked good to me!
    But now i am not able to get kali running in uefi mode. It is already installed and i can find it with gparted but i don´t know how to get it in uefi mode, when i read "kali supports efi" i thought it would be as simple as on the other systems... I was searching but couldnt find a similar thread at my configuration, please teach me how to get this done and to understand why this is held that complicated! Thanks in advance and excuse my bad english!

search EasyBCD on google and see if it's usefull to your purposes. i found it quite an easy and time saving for me. Happy multi-install

Thanks I think this tool could have made my life easier... I´m trying it!

Update

I don´t know what i did different, i´m pretty sure nothing, but now after i deleted the old ubuntu and installed it again it automatically integrated kali into the bootmenu...

Summary:
    1. create Partition as you need with gparted eg.
    2. Before you install your Linux OSes get your Microsoft OSes installed, because windows boot loader can´t find the linux OSes but linux boot loaders like GRUB or LILO can find windows OSes and integrate them!
    3. Make sure you install your windows OSes in chronical order from older first to newest at last, all in UEFI-mode for sure! After that you will get a boot menu with your microsoft OSes as its contents.
    4. Then you can install your Linux OSes. I recommend to install in my special case Ubuntu at last one because now i know its GRUB has no problem finding microsoft OSes AND kali. So dont get mad about the fact that maybe you won´t find kali in bootmenu directly after you installed it, Ubuntu installation will handle it for you!
    5. After all of that you can play with easyBCD and set a new Boot order or safe your loader eg.

Are there any problems coming up with this setup? Like when i try to get some data from a foreign partition? Nothing is hidden so... Any Hibernate Problems? should work or not?

Hi beetlejuice,
    Nice to see your good explanation about UEFI multiboot installation. Thank you for sharing this.
    About Ubuntu grub, lets see if Kali Team will implement Ubuntu grub in our distro.
    Quote Originally Posted by beetlejuice View Post
    Are there any problems coming up with this setup? Like when i try to get some data from a foreign partition? Nothing is hidden so... Any Hibernate Problems? should work or not?
    I am thinking that you will have some problem about hibernation (in Linux, not in Windows), but if you expect it, you will solve it!
    regards,
    duxim
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Hi duxim,
    thx, its a give and take and iḿ lucky when there comes up a chance to seem clever

But now to the hibernate thing, i dont really use it so it won't be a big problem. Nevertheless i'd like to know how this could become a problem, can you tell me in a short way or is it a thread that should be moved into an other topic?

sometimes when windows goes to hibernation it affects Linux system in a way that is not possible to mount the windows system
    solution is
    sudo apt-get install ntfsprogs
    sudo ntfsfix /dev/sdXY

but this is "whati if" sentence and depends of lot things
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

Great, thanks!
    Machine is still working and had no hibernation-problems yet. I think this thread can get closed.

CU
    "The louder you become, the more raucous you will get!"

System:
    • Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper Big Tower
    • ASUS Rampage V Extreme/USB3.1
    • Intel Core i7-5930K
    • be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 Tower Kühler
    • HyperX Predator 16GB DDR4-DIMM Kit
    • Asus GeForce GTX 970 STRIX OC Edition Aktiv PCIe 3.0 x16
    • Samsung 850 Pro SSD 1TB
    • Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB
    • Seagate ST2000DM001 2 TB

i installed kali linux with windows 10 dual boot but den grub didnt show my windows 10 n just gave me d option to boot with kali.Now i m not able to go to my windows can any1 plz help to solve this prob.?