Thread: Can i use Kali over Backtrack 5?

Can i use Kali over Backtrack 5?

Hi,

I recently bought a few books recently to practise and learn about programming, penetration and hacking. One was called Backtrack 5 Wireless Penetration Testing - Beginners Guide, if any of you know it? I tried downloading Backtrack but it's not available for download anymore and has been discontinued. Kali Linux was then recommended on the site.

I was just curious if Kali Linux would be a suitable and usable replacement for Backtrack 5? Having never used either i'm not really in my element here and require some help. Would i be able to follow the book I've bought and learn about Penetration Testing with Kali?
    If not, is there anywhere i can learn with Kali instead of learning from this book about Backtrack 5?

Thankyou

Yes, Kali Linux is BackTrack's replacement. I've found Kali superior to BackTrack 5 (and I've been using the tools since the BackTrack 2 days). As the book was written for BackTrack 5, be prepared to see different stuff in Kali (mostly in the form of different tools and different Kali menu organization). However, I think the principles of pen-testing and hacking are the same.

As far as wireless, the biggest problem you're going to find is getting a suitable wi-fi card. There are threads here in the forums regarding compatible cards.

If you feel ready for it, the classes offered by Offensive Security are excellent. However, be prepared to work hard!