Thread: Exact same results with or without YAGI antenna

Exact same results with or without YAGI antenna

Hey guys,
    getting quite confused here. Today my YAGI antenna arrived in the mailbox, so I plugged that to my TL-WN722N and guess what, the power of the signal for each nearby hotspot is exactly the same.

Results without YAGI plugged in:

without.jpg

Results WITH YAGI plugged in:

with.jpg

I'm running Kali 3.0 in a virtual machine and pluggin my wifi adapter to a usb 3.0 port (though the adapter is 2.0).

YAGI Antenna: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/RP-SM...020928152.html

I can't really understand how this is even possible. Any thoughts?

Thank you very much.
    Be the change you wish to see in the world.

I am thinking that maybe problem is that you are on VB. Try with Kali in live mode to see is there some improvements.
    Repetitio est mater studiorum

gonna try later and report back.. thanks duxim!

So I tried a live usb and can't see any improvements. I changed the usb ports and seems to perform a bit better with the YAGI rather than the standard antenna. Though my wifi router is 2 meters away and while pointing the YAGI directly to the router (only a wooden table between), the wireless adapter built into my laptop performs like 20/30% better. This is quite delusional, not what I was expecting after buying an antenna that's bigger than my computer and the most recommended adapter
    I was thinking like "yeah let's try pointing this outside the window and see how far we can get!"

lol this signal can't even cross the street.

yagi's are best for long range. think of your tplink as a candle and yagi as a flashlight. the TL-WN722N will sure not boost the signal as it would something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Sunhans-Sh-200...wifi+amplifier or at least an alfa. search on google for the best setups and see that not all yagi's are as powerfull as what they declare it is. it's likely that they are counterfeit more than alfa's so you have to choose it carefully,or at least buy it from where you are sure they will answer you back in case it's not working as it should. Happy hunting

this helps a lot you've basically answered any of my doubts. I guess I'll follow your advice. Thank you very much bob.

http://www.hscott.net/hack-rifle/ build yourself something like ) Happy shooting