Thread: Booting Kali from external hard drive (sata-usb)

Booting Kali from external hard drive (sata-usb)

Hello, I installed Kali to an empty hard drive by putting the empty drive in my computer. When in my computer, Kali boots up and works fine. However, I did it this way so I could boot Kali externally and keep windows on the drive in my computer.

When my Kali drive is plugged into my computer as an external drive (sata-usb) and I try to boot from it, it doesn't boot. It stops and list a couple errors about sda1(my external Kali drive) but it doesn't boot. Can anyone help me fix this?

I looked everywhere for a similar situation and this is the closest thing I found, although the error is a bit different. https://forums.kali.org/showthread.p...from-HDD-VIDEO

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this could be happening?

Thanks.

I've found out that the errors occurring are due to a windows drive being in my computer.

When I take my windows drive out of my computer, my Kali drive boots completely fine, when it's internally connected and externally connected through USB. However, as soon as I reconnect my windows drive, I get the errors when trying to boot.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

have you read and follow the kali's doc website ?
    OSCP | OSWP | Offsec is the best

Yes I have done everything as the instructions said to, and I know I haven't done anything wrong. Like I said, the disk boots Kali fine when it is connected to my computer and my windows drive isn't, but as soon as my windows drive is connected as well it won't boot. Here is a screenshot of the exact errors:mDLiyH7.jpg

Finally got this fixed, I had to edit the grub config to load sdb1 instead of sda1 first.