Thread: Problem trying to use my TL-WN722N for my Nexus 6, Marshmallow 6.0.1

Question Problem trying to use my TL-WN722N for my Nexus 6, Marshmallow 6.0.1

EDIT:
    Turns out I did bad research before buying an OTG cable, turns out I need a OTG Y cable for additional power. I saw this one on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Micro-Cable-Po...iglink20238-20 But if I purchase that one I would have to wait 1 month+. That's a little to much. So I came across this one, http://www.nedro.be/micro-usb-fm-otg...mpaign=beslist Would this one do the job? It may be a stupid question but I wouldn't want to buy another cable that doesn't work :P

Original:

I'm running a Nexus 6 with Marshmallow 6.0.1. I setup the Nexus with a clean install of stock using the Linux Root Toolkit and nethunter 3.0. I'm on 3.10.40-g4b7e9ba (uname -r)

Whenever I run Wifite, it will just hang at "Scanning for wireless devices" and never progress further. Since Wifite uses airmon-ng, I tried to just launch the kali terminal and manually run "airmon-ng start wlan1". This is where I get the "Found phy0 with no interface assigned" message and is probably the reason why Wifite is hanging. I've reset my Nexus 6 (reflash with stock) a couple times to rule out a bad install on my part, but I always get this message.

When I get the "Found phy0 with no interface assigned" message, it asks if I would like to assign one to it. If I input 'Y', then it will eventually create the wlan1 interface. This is not a one time thing. If I pull the card and replug it back in, I still get the "Found phy0 with no interface assigned" message.

When I type "lsusb" it does show my external adapter. Output: Bus 003 Device 004: ID 0cf3:9271 Atheros Communications, Inc. AR9271 802.11n. "iwconfig" shows "no wireless extensions." after everything.
    rmnet_usb0
    I tried running the "Wlan1 Monitor UP" custom command that's included by default before running Wifite/Airmon-ng but it tells me there is no such device. I also installed the atheros firmware using "apt-get firmware-atheros" and it installed the firmware successfully.

Also, I'm able to use the same external adapter on my Kali Linux VM without any problems.

I don't know how I get this thing working. Perhaps I forgot to install something, I just don't know what to do next. I would like your help on this one.
    Last edited by Mattice; 2016-03-14 at 18:33.

[/QUOTE]I don't know how I get this thing working. Perhaps I forgot to install something, I just don't know what to do next. I would like your help on this one.[/QUOTE]
    Did you install pciutils ?
    apt-get install pciutils
    Get update and upgrade

It looks like the same cable to me, so it should work.

It's not cable problem you can use any cables http://www.amazon.com/VIMVIP-Adapter.../dp/B00RHFCRL6
    My Nexus 6 - android 6.0.1 - build MMB29K
    With nethunter v.3 . without any problems.
    If lsusb shown your wireless interface, then bring
    It up by:
    ifconfig wlan1 up
    airmon-ng start wlan1
    Last edited by Duane; 2016-03-15 at 16:23.

That adapter requires additional power, so it is cable problem, as you need y-cable in order to use it.

Thanks for all the replies.
    Duane, I tried installing pciutils but it seems I already had the latest version of it. I believe it's a power problem with my adapter so I'll go ahead and buy a Y cable instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattice View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Duane, I tried installing pciutils but it seems I already had the latest version of it. I believe it's a power problem with my adapter so I'll go ahead and buy a Y cable instead.
    I have the same issue as yours, did buying power cable solved your problem?

8. I have a Nexus 6 and I use my TP-LINK TL-WN722N just fine with just a OTG cable I do own a Y Cable but never used it much fact I recently bought a small OTG Adapter I got off freecst.com

Quote Originally Posted by localhost View Post
    I have a Nexus 6 and I use my TP-LINK TL-WN722N just fine with just a OTG cable I do own a Y Cable but never used it much fact I recently bought a small OTG Adapter I got off freecst.com
    I can confirm the same for my op2. I don't need any Y cable. It was the kernel issue and flashing a proper Kernel worked for me.